X

Starting a 1985 Gs550Es project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a 1985 Gs550Es project

I am starting a Suzuki 1985 gs550es streetfighter and am looking for any suggestions. Also does anyone know if any bikes are part compatible?http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...12008MD110.jpg
    "If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." --Robert Cringley

throw away all the plastic.or maybe EBAY it.keep those cool gauges.YA im serious thos rock.ditch the seat in favor of something smaller.andthe most important part.take lots of pictures

Comment

Just so you know, this is only my opinion. Whatever you do, only do it because you like it. Not because it's popular on streetfighters you've seen.

With that said, I would remove the nose and windscreen plastic, but keep the lower fairings around the engine area. I think they're cool.

Get rid of the tail section however you see fit. Make it a solo seat. No point in going 2 up on a streetfighter. That tail end already has cafe-shaped plastics, so maybe cut your seat shorter and modify the subframe to hold the existing tail plastics centered over the back wheel.

Some people like high handlebars bars (or even dirt bike bars) on streetfighters. Personally, I like clip-ons with bar end mirrors...

...and pink streamers.

Ride safe

-Cale

Comment

lots of info on theGSresources.com. I recall reading a thread where someone used a Kat swingarm/suspension and wheel, with very little mods. I think the same bike even had pre 98 kat600 triple and forks. I like the idea of keeping the tail but cutting the seat and moving the tail up.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

FWIW, fork diameter is exactly the same as 80 CB650's...
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Alright i first attacked the rear end. cut the seat down and removed all rear fairings. moved the end handel bar forward and added holes to mount it. i think a intergrated tail light would go nicely under the seat.

"If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." --Robert Cringley

Comment

Man I had a GS the same year.. fun bike... the rear passenger pegs gotta go...
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

dont think ill be abel to use that head light braket

Comment

Not sure if the stems are the same size but I might go the way I did with my GS and "Kat out" the suspension. I have the Kat FE, strut and 98+ rear wheel on my GS. Great suspension set up for an already nimble bike and superb braking. Thanks for the pics,though. I've always heard raves about the 550 and I've never seen one until just then. Very nice bike. Makes you wonder why they never faired the GS1100....
                  1986 bf 323
                  1990 zuk gs5
                  2002 mitsu galant

Comment

Hey, you've got a nice looking frame for a streetfighter. It shows off your engine well, and it follows the same lines as the old bikes. Like the old honds CBs.

Nice job on that seat. Most of the time we get high school kids in here saying something like

"i want 2 make streetfighter, where 2 buy partz lol n how 2 do burnout omg what is a clutch? lol omg"

But you really went for it. I'm excited to see how your stop lamp works out.

Comment

Cool Project

Comment

yeah good luck workin through it all... i just had to deal with all the fun front headlight rando bracketry.....

lookin good so far though... keep us posted...
                        THE EMAIL BANDIT
                        F4 I stunted out
                        Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                        MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Got the front head light off, gotta start re wiring the bike. one of the main reasons i started this project is becuase the bike had grounds on its lights and indications. i think im gonna keep the guages.

Last edited by enemykat; 05-15-2008, 06:16 AM.

Comment

sweet dude looking good.... Now u just need some sanding and paint on that header... hahahaha....
                            THE EMAIL BANDIT
                            F4 I stunted out
                            Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                            MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

i think i'd be getting shot of those clocks on ebay unless you're putting a substantial size headlamp under them to keep them balanced ...

personally i'd be getting shot of them to balance with the stumpy tail (maybe a sigma bc1606l) and a smallish headlight tight in to the yokes....

you gotta bin the grab rail, i can't see any reason for keeping it ...

apart from that you got a good looking project there
                              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
                              X