No announcement yet.
X

Joey's POS to Sexy beast thread.. :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loll around the work area and floor for any shims, sounds like you forgot one. Pull the pan and inspect while turning the engine over.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Loll around the work area and floor for any shims, sounds like you forgot one. Pull the pan and inspect while turning the engine over.
      Can you give me an example of which shims you are talking about?
      Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Some look like wavy washers other are just flat. There shouldn't be any major play in the shafts.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Some look like wavy washers other are just flat. There shouldn't be any major play in the shafts.
          If you mean on the transmission gears there isn't play. It is the fork shaft that the forks are attached too. I did not take this out at all so if it is an issue it would have been prior to me obtaining the engine. I just hope its normal but I doubt it.
          Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

The forks are mounted to a shaft right? Look up the specs in the manual and measure the play.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

The forks are mounted to a shaft right? Look up the specs in the manual and measure the play.
              Yeah they are but I did not take the shaft out during the entire process. That being said I could have missed something while putting it back together but I was pretty careful so if it is an issue I think it was an issue prior still. Either way i will check the play but I can tell you now if that is the problem its an issue lol. It is possible to take the forks out without splitting the crank case but would probably be pretty hard to line them back up.

I will drop the oil pan again and take a look when I find some time. The thing that bothers me most is I didn't hear the noise when I had the clutch basket in.

I will probably have to split the case again.. I really didn't want too but I don't want to risk it being something wrong and mess up the entire engine on first start up lol.

Free Parts

Comment

Wait, is there oil in it? Dry trans will make strange noises.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Wait, is there oil in it? Dry trans will make strange noises.
                  No sir. Just hand cranking it slowly dry. Has grease on the bearing journals.

Free Parts

Comment

Fill it and try again, oil is a cushion.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Fill it and try again, oil is a cushion.
                      Will do. I still need to adjust the cam clearances and put the clutch basket back in. I was going to throw some cheap oil in there to clean out any dust that may have gotten in anyway. Two birds.

Free Parts

Comment

UPDATE: 10-14-15:

So I haven't done a ton of work on the bike since I got a new job (training, travel, busy) but I finally have a set schedule going so I can plan stuff out a bit better.

I just gone done sand blasting the frame and fixing the previous owners... enhancements? (shit welds, added random parts, etc).

Anyway on to the point.

Painting or powder coating the frame.

Is the cost worth the powder coating or should I just paint it with hi temp pant? I am unsure of the cost of powder coating but it seems to be the best route so far but the cost is going to be up there I assume.

Opinions?

Free Parts

Comment

I painted a frame a couple years ago (auto paint, in a booth). Looked Sexxy. For about a year...
                          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                            I painted a frame a couple years ago (auto paint, in a booth). Looked Sexxy. For about a year...
                            So one for powder coating lol. I was looking at prices and it doesn't seem to pricey to be honest.

I found a local shop that will sand blast and coat the frame. Start to finish $200. Seems like a good deal to me considering doing it myself will cost probably around the same for the prep and paint. Maybe even cost me more.
                            Last edited by Yeoj112689; 10-14-2015, 03:04 PM.

Free Parts

Comment

Sounds reasonable. Will definitely hold up longer.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Powdercoat hands down!

Comment

Working...
                                X