No announcement yet.
X

2002 Kat Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pipe actually cleaned up nicely with some Never Dull that I used..Most likely going to shorten the can around 6 inches to get rid of the heavily damaged areas..Going to sand down the midpipe and figure something out to do with that..keep it sanded or high temp paint it, not sure quite yet.

The damage from where the PO laid the bike down..a little scuffed up but I like the D&D pipe a lot and it's what I'm used to, it has the street packing in it.

The midpipe itself, has some decently bad rust in spots and I figure since my bike is going to be basically spotless, there's no sense in leaving a rusty midpipe on it..I'd be doing the bike an injustice.

Mounted my new front brake pads, quick and easy with the old C clamp trick. Will bleed the brakes and get some new brake fluid once I get my wheels mounted up.

New Rear pads
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

Comment

I ended up putting about 6 coats of primer on the mirrors until I ended up getting them to where I wanted them to be but, they look good now! I'm thinking possibly chrome on the mirrors or maybe just color match them to the rest of the bike? What do you guys think? Rims are sandblasted and have their first two coats of primer, waiting until later in the week to do the final coats of black on them followed up by clear. Hopefully, I can get somewhere to get my tires mounted..I was quoted $86 for mount, balance, and valve stem install via North American Warhorse. Planning on doing some more calling around before I jump at having them done.

Last edited by fury8793; 05-10-2015, 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      ~Author Unknown

Comment

Final Paint - Rims, Mirrors, grab bar

Hey guys! I decided to head up to where my bike is and get some painting done on her tonight after work! The red metallic in my opinion looks really, really good.

Here's the mirror before clear:

After first coat of clear:

Grab Bar:

Wheels:

I'm feeling pretty good about this paint scheme, I'll be doing the forks in a nice bronze most likely or a nice gold..Tires are getting mounted this upcoming week at a local shop for $60 with a valve stem install.
        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Well guys, quick question while I'm thinking about it..How many different size fairing bolts are on the katana? I'm just going to go to my local hardware store to get some stainless bolts and then hitting up NAPA to try and find some clips for the larger fairings..If I can get a rough estimate on how many bolts, nuts, clips and such to get it will help me out a lot when I go to the store.

Also, on the frame there's a grommet that I need to replace that I believe is a fastening location for the largest fairings.
          ~Author Unknown

Comment

One of the previous owners attempted to work on the bike and it's absolutely awful. Don't even get me started on their shovel chop and flush mount turn signal wires..Over tightening the drain plug, the mess of wires, mismatched bolts, it's all driving me crazy and pushing the project further back. I think in the end getting it perfect will be worth it.
            ~Author Unknown

Comment

The carb sync went flawlessly! The bike runs amazingly with this jet kit and custom exhaust..I'll have to do a write up on how I ended up making my exhaust for you guys.

Thank you Arsenic!
              ~Author Unknown

Comment

Not too sure about this quite yet..Went with a hammered gold finish on my rear sprocket and swing arm caps. It certainly is a unique look and I think it's growing on me, what do you guys think?

Here's the things I painted and the start to my custom exhaust:

Picture of the sprocket:

With Flash:

Close up of texture:

~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by fury8793 View Post
                  The carb sync went flawlessly! The bike runs amazingly with this jet kit and custom exhaust..I'll have to do a write up on how I ended up making my exhaust for you guys.

Thank you Arsenic!
                  that's what I do bro, you're welcome.

Comment

Work is still coming along well but it seems this thread has died of opinionated people.
                    ~Author Unknown

Comment

People like pictures but dont comment on them.

Comment

UPDATE!
                        Finished the gas tank!

Mesh Mod!

Painted these covers

Freshly painted rim, fender and forks!

Fumoto valve, new oil pan, and gasket

Custom exhaust

Now for a little problem that I have..I hooked up my battery and got this:

My question is, what could this possibly be and what could fix it? The tail light comes on and stays on, the turn signal indicator is on even though the turn signal isn't blinking, and the high beam indicator is on even though the headlights aren't on at all! What on earth would cause this?

Two things I have up for sale:
                        A right turn signal:

A windscreen:
                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

How much for the turn signal?

Comment

Shoot me a number, not looking to make a killing..Only want to help a fellow Katrider out.
                            ~Author Unknown

Comment

I'm not too sure if I'm a fan of the gold accent pieces maybe once we see it all put together we will see your vision and the exhaust looks good let us know how it sounds

Comment

Hey, thanks for the opinion! The exhaust looks even better in person, I really like how it came out. As for the gold accent pieces, they're mainly small pieces..I believe the largest is the rear sprocet.
                                ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X