X

Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaand it's naked again!

Made a reinforcing bar to connect the lower brackets in anticipation of the sideways load the panniers will be subjecting them to. Also welded the tops of the hooks shut so they form rings instead of an U-shape. Didn't bother with tidy welds because none of it will be visible with the fairings on.

And installed. The flash makes it look wrong, there's about 1cm of room on top of the bar before the fender so it doesn't affect suspension travel.

The rear light frame, this time out of thin steel instead of plastic:

Installed:

And painted and assembled:

Pannier attachment ready!

Closeup on the "hinge tubes" through which the locking bars go.

And (temporarily) painted black, attached and on the road!

1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Comment

• The panniers cover the seat lock when installed, so I took the lock out and installed a length of steel wire instead. Need to cover the lock hole left in the fairings.

Visible next to the passenger footrest:

The bottom fairings fixed and primered:

The left side front fairing fixed and primered, the right side took more damage so still needs some work.

A mock-up of how the plastics would look when ready.

Comment

• Great build. Great uniqueness to this one. Love the "inspirational" text on that last pic

Comment

• Yeah I scribbled it on when I got back to Finland after my last trip, but soon removed the front fairings for the rest of the season.

Comment

• Side fairings finally fixed! Still one more layer of basecoat and holes for front indicators and I'll install them after which begins the painting of the whole bike.

And a sketch about how the camo paintjob should turn out like:

Last edited by Morgion; 06-09-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Got side fairings back on. No pics until tomorrow because it's dark outside and the bike is black, so my shitty phone camera has major issues in taking photos.

Bought a little something something, though...

And painted it black

Comment

• Oh god!
                I hate the sad horn the Kat has.

Comment

• Yeah, you can't even hear it on the highway. These bad boys, though... Can't make a video before I get them installed because I have to take them far from civilization for everyone's sake

Comment

• A lot has happened during the last two weeks, didn't have time to update the thread.

First off, my speedo finally kicked the bucket at 106647 kilometers. The cable was spinning all right but you could hear the grinding of gears inside the unit.

So I bought a Koso DB-01R+ to replace the old cluster.

This is how small the new unit actually is.

Tearing the front apart to access the wiring:

It's aliiiiive!

A rat's nest tucked under the tank:

Some pictures with the fairings on and the new instrument cluster installed along with bar-end mirrors. Also tucked the headlight close to the forks.

Camo paintjob 75% complete! Still missing a layer.

Last edited by Morgion; 06-29-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• That front end looks really odd. If that's what you like
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• I agree, the side fairings look very odd indeed.

Comment

• I can modify them later, but that was the easiest and most decent-looking way I could think of salvaging them with the way they were broken. I pictured that up way early in February . If you have better ideas, sketch over the pictures in question, new ideas are always welcome. It's going to stay like this until winter, though.

Comment

• Leaving for another trip to Europe on Saturday! This time a full four weeks!

Air horns? Why yes! Installed behind the headlight. The red cylinder is the compressor.

With the headlight installed, just the tips of the horns are visible.

The cluster relocated to its final position:

And pics of the finished paintjob. Also visible are the auxiliary LED high beams. Didn't take any pictures of the installation as I was in a rush, but they are splendid. Missing from the pics are the hard panniers I also painted in the same theme.

Here's the stencils I used to make the patterns:

Next time I'm posting it'll likely be from somewhere around central Europe!

Comment

• 12,000 kilometers, 28 days, one license plate holder, one battery, one chain, one headlight bulb and one high-beam relay later, my Finland-Slovenia-Switzerland-Netherlands-Nordkapp-Finland trip is done! Pics to follow later.

Comment

• sounds like quite the trip, yes post pics for sure
                                2002 750 Kat
                                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                                X