X

Freedom Build ( GS1100EZ )

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom Build ( GS1100EZ )

Alright, I figure I will share my other build with everyone here. My Kat build is nearing the end other than some minor things, so I needed something else to work on. Now I had been searching for another project for quite a while, but everyone wants more than their bike is worth. Instead of spending a chunk of money on something that would be eventually choped up and be nothing like stock, I decided to buy the parts I wanted first and build off that. And thats what I did

Parts list to date:

1982 GS1100EZ frame and tank
    05 Hayabusa front end
    02 Bandit 1200s motor, carbs, header, and electrics
    04 Bandit 1200s swingarm, shock, and linkage
    92 GSXR 600 rear wheel and brake ( to be robbed from my Katana )
    Custom drop triples with 38mm offset using the factory GS steering stem
    83 GS550ES tail and seat
    80 GS750 headlight

Now the goal with this build is to try and make a classic looking bike with some modern features. Enough power to play yet handle well thru the turns. I'm going to try and follow the time honored K.I.S.S. but we will see how that goes. This bike will not be rushed and every mod I have or will do has been thought out well in advance. Coments, suggestions, and criticizing are welcome

I'll start the pictures of the PAIR removal. The motor came equipped with 4 hoses like so

Cut off the hardline and you get this

I simply drilled out the hole to a size slightly larger than some round stock I had. Cut a couple 1/4" plugs from that

TIG welded those in and buffed them smooth

And here they are installed

Next up was the frame. Here it is pictured as I am going over it looking for rust or bent tubes

Put the tank on and stared at this for the following week or so gathering ideas

Now while I was in the planning stage, I took a break and built a stand for my tube bender.

Back to the topic of the frame. I bought it sight unseen, so it was a gamble. All in all I'm happy. One of the down tubes is slightly tweaked, near the kickstand, but the rest of the frame is straight. There is some rust on the down tubes, looks like something was clamped there. Its in the same spot on both tubes.

Its not a large area, but it is ate almost completely thru. I will fix that later though by bending 2 new down tubes. Next thing to be done was to cut the subframe off.

Now its time for the motor. Took alot of measurements and started to mark the frame

With the motor in place, I started making the lower rear mounts. Here they are marked on some 1/4" plate

And the finished pieces

Tacked in place

Getting there

Next up was the upper rear mounts. Also designed on 1/4" plate

Both cut out and cleaned up. I designed these to be wrap around brackets since they would be visable. Looks cleaner and planed out

They slide over this piece of 1 1/8" tube like so

And that was set and tacked into place

And with the tank and carbs back on to check clearances

Last edited by 92GSX750; 04-05-2012, 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

oh yeah .... more!!!!
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

The front mounts took some thinking. Not that they were hard to do, but more of a why did Suzuki do this. The rear of the motor was solid mounted in 2 places ( effectively locking it in place ) yet the front was rubber mounted. So all the stress was placed at the rear mounts. This I did not like and after some thinking and alot of disgussing with others, I decided to solid mount the front also. I spun these solid bushings out of some 1 1/2" solid bar and drilled/ taped the holes.

They fit like so

I then made these mounts from some more 1/4" plate

Here are the swingarm pivot bushings ( new=left old=right ) These I did not make as there is no room for error. I have a local shop that does most of my precision work

With those in hand I was able to put the Bandit swingarm in place along with the shock and linkage

Now I have 2 ideas in my head. 1 is to run the mono shock setup as pictured above. But that is only if this doesn't work

An underslung mono shock. I won't know for sure which way it will be untill I get the triples in hand and can put the front end on to check clearances. I should have the triples by the end of next week. Untill then this project is on hold

Comment

Very impressive work. I wish I had 1/10 of the vision, desire, and talent that you do. Excited to see how it turns out.

Comment

http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

VERY nice!!!
            sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
            2004 Katana 600 - Gone
            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Nice build.Looks like quality craftsmanship going on ( fab/weld).
              Have a aftermarket fiberglass tail section for gs if you need, never used.
              Keep us in mind for some color if you dont have a painter.
              Why did they have the big yamaha on the tank?

Comment

Thanks everyone.

What model is the fiberglass tail molded after? And I have no clue why there is Yamaha stickers on the sides. Almost didn't buy the tank because of them.

Comment

Beautiful welds... takes a nice feel for those... Awesome build so far. With the quality already shown, I am sure that the finished product will be kick ***. Keep us posted as we eat this crap up... really nice.
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                    Thanks everyone.

What model is the fiberglass tail molded after? And I have no clue why there is Yamaha stickers on the sides. Almost didn't buy the tank because of them.
                    nothing a sander and some paint can't take care of.
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

I am humbled by your skills my friend. I look forward to following this build. Great pictures and write up so far!
                      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Wish my welds looked like that!
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks, my welds have been many years in the making.

Comment

I started welding about 4 years ago. Something about a broken mower deck that cost more to replace than it would cost to replace the whole mower... I'm using a gass-less Mig.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have only welded once... my weld looked like a denny's bath room a 3am on a friday night.... It wasn't pretty. but i feel like there are so many things that need welding in my life. my DR kick stand, all sorts of tack welds for the katana, computer desk, computer chair, all sorts of strange brackets. It's like everyday i find something that needs to be welded! Too bad I don't have a welder...
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X