Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

If its not one thing, its another. Help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If its not one thing, its another. Help.

92 Katana 750. Started off as a short term projects, i figured it needed the valves adjusted and the carb cleaned out. It did, but so much more.

Valves were all sorts of carbon-ed up, so I cleaned those up, cut new seats and lapped them in. Got it back together, adjusted for new valve lash, and while torquing my valve cover back on, (note big torque wrenches for 5 ft-lbs doesn't work so great.) I stripped a couple of the journal holders, thats right not one but 2. So I'm a little ****ed, pulled the valve cover back off, loosened all the bolts, so as not to bed the cams, drilled them out and was going to helicoil them. Started off great, drilled, started tapping, gone one done, and stared on the second, this one seemed a lot more difficult to thread in so I chased the threads back to bottom with the 7mm -1 tap that's supposed to fit. Key word being bottom. So I bottomed a starter tap through the bottom of my journal holder, hopped online to see how much it's going to cost me to replace 2 journal holders, and I find out they're line drilled, so I'm going to have to replace the whole head???

Help please, is there any work around?

The not so bad one

The really bad one

AJ

You know they should be line bored, but I guess you can replace them.
    However there are a few techniques for fixing the threads..

I think Mojoe had a good one.
    Do an advanced search for cam caps and member Mojoe..

Comment

Working...
    X