No announcement yet.
X

My '93 GSX600F project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I see now; that's a very promising setup with the GSXR front end and Bandit rear. It also lets you put that hugger on no problems. Trying to see about modifying a post-kat hugger to fit my pre. But seeing as how all cuts are final...
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Ride wise the modified suspension is all for the better. Sag (free/rider) is set to 20/35mm in the front and 10/30 in the rear.
      Bandit rear was only installed to make room for GSXR rear wheel.

The hugger is a fiberglass copy of a SV650 hugger. Rather poorly made and hence a poor fit. But it does the job of protecting the shock somewhat, so it stays for now.
      Making a hugger fit a long with the top mounted rear caliper must be rather tricky?

Comment

I made my hugger, and yes, a slot has to be cut in it to allow passage. Not that big of a deal though.
        Attached Files
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah I've looked up a bunch about it and I'm looking to get a carbon hugger as soon as funds come along. Not really too concerned about cutting it wrong but i'll have to mock it up first. First up is an Apativ TPX Radar Detector, though.

Jimmie, I just noticed you have some pretty stylish grips there, and mine are rather worn. Where did you acquire those from?
          - Purplehaze

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            I made my hugger, and yes, a slot has to be cut in it to allow passage. Not that big of a deal though.
            That hugger looks really good, very nice finish.

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
            Jimmie, I just noticed you have some pretty stylish grips there, and mine are rather worn. Where did you acquire those from?
            My grips are made by Rizoma, although I think the precise part no. is now obsolete.
            This is the closest resemblance I believe.

Comment

Whooo that website is chock full of some unique designs I haven't seen before. Definitely will be picking up a few things. Appreciate the direct.
              - Purplehaze

Comment

So, some of my mods are causing ripple effects. By moving the rear sets further back and down, the left side now slightly collides with the side stand.
                I've previously modified the side stand to fit with the rear sets of my choosing, extending the length and changing angle.

With the current setup the side stand needs to be straigther, as opposed to the funny design of the OE stand. Most stands I could find were too short, until a fellow biker told me to take a peek at the S1000RR side stand.
                It's fairly long, straight and very light. So far it's not mounted up, but it seems to be possible without too much work.

This is how it looks.

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                Whooo that website is chock full of some unique designs I haven't seen before. Definitely will be picking up a few things. Appreciate the direct.
                Yeah, I like the looks of most Rizoma stuff and the quality is good.

Comment

Cleaned out the cable mess that used to live between the engine and the tank. Shortened, changed connectors and removed the coils and HT leads. Instead I've wired in connectors for Denso COP units.
                  Makes for less of a mess above the engine. Ignition cables and connectors are inside the black wrap on the carb side of the crossbeam, coils not installed yet.

On a side note, the BMW kick stand seems to fit fairly well.

Comment

BMW stand mounted. The hole for the pivot bolt needs to be reamed up to 16mm and a spacer for making up the width difference. The mount needs some slight grinding to allow for greater folded up angle. With regards to the side stand switch, I haven't had one for years and am not about to put one on now.

Folded up, nicely tucked away.

And actually leaning on the stand, good angle.

The only immediate drawback is that the stand lacks a pin to fold it down when sitting on the bike. It's actually a right pain to get at it. Though it's very light (alu) and rather good looking for a side stand.

I'm quite happy about the space created above the engine without the HT leads.
                    For now I'm waiting on the coils to arrive and a Bandit clutch cable, then it's time for a test ride. Bandit clutch cable have the same 'throw' in lack of a better word but is some 10cm longer which will allow for better routing with the wider bars.

Comment

Finally got the coils installed and took a short test ride. Coils used are 2011 GSXR 750, 1.7ohm, so 3.4ohm in series. This falls fairly well inside the 2-4ohm span specified in the manual.
                      Took off the upper rubber grommets after the photos were taken though, as they're of no use. I cut the OE rubbers to suit and the coils are sitting tight.

They're a bit tall but that shouldn't be a problem.

Also found this fuse box and began planning for some more electrical work. Thought I'd replace the OE fuse box with this one.

Comment

GSXFJim and I did the same thing with the Ford COP COILS, cheap and easy to do.. Just making quality brackets to hold them down, zip ties won't last long there, to hot. Use the metal ones with heat shrink tubing to protect the wiring.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

I'm not sure I follow.
                          I use zipties to hold all kinds of wiring in place and they hold up well even in heat. The coils on the other hand are definitly not held in place with zipties..

Comment

Do what you want, I'm just saying that plastic zip ties in that area will get brittle from the heat.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I didn't even know you could drop coils like that in. What's the benefit?
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

We don't know, yet... Though they are much cheaper and readily available. Picked up 8 for $57.00. The wires and the resistor boots aren't needed any more We're hoping on better spark to help with fuel efficiency and power. We plan on kiting them as a plug and play install with brackets to hold the COP modules in place and we're trying to see if they will work with the new ignition system that is being developed for the air cooled Suzuki's. Old school going newer school.
                                Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X