X

larger pistons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larger pistons

ok ive been building an engine out of a 1997 katana 600 and i need to bore it i go to school for machining and have tool and know how to be able to bore it but i want to know if i could take the pistons from a 1.8 vw gti and bore them to fit i believe there will be plety of material left on the cylinder walls to make it safe but i wanted to know if anyone has attempted it

When you're looking for the right pistons, you have a lot more to consider than just the bore.

If VW pistons are the right bore, the right wrist pin size, the right compression height, have the correct size valve pockets set at the correct angles, the right skirt length, the right dome size/shape, and they aren't too heavy (remember, that VW was never going to spin at 12k RPM), then maybe they could work.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

good point the motor was scarred so bad i have no choice but to bore the cylinders do you know any company that may have the size i bored the motor to? or a place i could get custom ones made?

Comment

oh geez... VW pistons in a motorcycle? Are you high? Welcome to KR, BTW!
        '03 600 Kat
        '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by jsturgis View Post
          good point the motor was scarred so bad i have no choice but to bore the cylinders do you know any company that may have the size i bored the motor to? or a place i could get custom ones made?
          I don't know anybody that makes overbore pistons for the 600's, no. To be honest, you'd probably be best off just buying another cylinder block off of ebay. Sure you can have custom pistons made, but you're probably looking at $600 a set or more..... and since complete katana 600 engines routinely sell for $150-$250 it just doesn't make much sense to go that route.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
          X