X

My long overdue rebuild project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My long overdue rebuild project

Some of you may remember me scouring fleabay while I was in Iraq gathering up super-secret parts for my next project. The plan was to install all of those parts during the winter in Alaska, but the Army decided that I needed to move down to El Paso in February. Getting home from Iraq in October that didn't give me much time to install everything and there was still some missing odds and ends to make it all fit properly. I decided to ship the bike complete and wait to start the project once I got down to Texas. Now I've been here for a while and most of the moving boxes have been unpacked and removed from the garage so I have space to move around and work. I am still waiting on a few bits and pieces, but decided to go ahead and start this thread up like I promised I would. The bike everyone on here knows and remembers hasn't looked like this for quite a while now.

Right before I left for Iraq I discovered my front rim was bent and had to be replaced. I never took time to do anything with the new front rim except ride on it, so she had a black rear rim and a silver front rim. Just recently I dropped the bike in a gravel parking lot breaking the mirror, front brake lever and chipping the "bubble" on the right main fairing. So this is how she is sitting today before I start the rebuild project.

Here is a sneak peek at some of the parts going onto my bike.

I don't think anyone already has this name.... so I am going to call this bike "Gixana" since every part on the bike will be from a Gixxer or a Katana.
    Last edited by Court93kat; 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM. Reason: Attach Photos

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Good luck with the build!
    "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!! At this point I am needing some luck!

I forgot to throw in this picture. It is my brand new work bench that was on clearance at Lowe's for only $50! So far it's working awesome. MUCH better than working on the floor. : I've already got some parts for the project on there.

I give up trying to make this picture up right. I've edited, modified, deleted and uploaded 3 times. Just turn your head.

NOW it decides to be upright.... <--picture
      Last edited by Court93kat; 04-01-2010, 09:09 AM. Reason: To kick picture in it's "no-no's"...

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
        I give up trying to make this picture up right. I've edited, modified, deleted and uploaded 3 times. Just turn your head.

I'll be out your way middle of June. Gonna have it finished by then?
        sigpic

Comment

Looks good

Like the white wheels! Somethin nice about wheels that pop on a sport bike.
          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
          ---
          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

whooo hoooo let the double top secret wonder build begin!!!!
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

nice project, i see a rear shock in the background. gsxr shock?
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I your paint scheme
                Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                  I'll be out your way middle of June. Gonna have it finished by then?
                  TDR... I have no idea if it will be or not. I would like to think it will be, but then again depending WHEN in June you are coming through I might not be here. We have some "field trips" coming up at work. It would be AWESOME to finally meet you though. Hopefully the dates are good so we can.

Originally posted by niqbales
                  Like the white wheels! Somethin nice about wheels that pop on a sport bike.
                  Thanks. I found them on E-Bay already white so decided to just leave them that way and try white instead of black. I will see how hard they are to keep clean and how it looks. They might go black later on.

Originally posted by mreedohio
                  nice project, i see a rear shock in the background. gsxr shock?
                  That is only ONE shock you can see. I have a variety that I will be checking out to see which one I like best.

Originally posted by cybrnathan
                  I your paint scheme
                  Thanks. The bike was solid white when I bought it. I just added vinyl graphics. My helmet matches with miniature graphics.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

I love your bike! What all is planned for it this time around?

Comment

Well.... nothing that hasn't been done before on here. Here is a list of stuff going on the bike.

'93 Gixxer 750 forks, triples, clip-ons
                      '93 Gixxer 750 Master Cylinder for.....
                      '93 Gixxer 750 front brakes (6 pots)
                      HEL steel braided lines feeding the 6 pots
                      '93 Gixxer 750 front and rear rims (5.5" with 180/55 tire)
                      Modified Katana 750 swingarm to fit rear rim and tire
                      HEL steel braided line to the rear caliper

And an unexpected mod that recently came up is the addition of stock 750 Katana dual exhaust. The wife really likes the sound of our 750 with the duals and I always liked the balanced look of duals anyway. Using the 750 exhaust I won't be losing too much flow compared to the Yoshi setup I currently have. It might actually run a little better.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Comment

Nice list! Did you find the gixxer parts on eBay? I looked for the frontend before doing the busa swap and they are hard to come by.

Comment

Yes, almost everything on that list was found on E-bay. I had a LOT of spare time to locate all the parts. Of course the swingarm came from Krey, the HEL lines and HH pads from HS2020, and the mufflers from EBritain on this site.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Cool, cool. This will be a fun build to watch. Goodluck!

Comment

Working...
                              X