X

Wraith0078's worklog.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraith0078's worklog.

This is all very tentative at the moment, but I've gotta stop threadjacking sporty_drew...

My Katana is my second bike, and unknown to me at the time I bought it was in pretty crappy shape, even though she seemed to run fine and handle pretty good.

When I got it home in February of 2009, I had to replace a few inconsequential items that didn't seem like all that big of a deal at the time. Couple missing bolts, rubber on the rear brake pedal, trip odometer knob.

Then one day it decided it didn't want to run unless I wound it up past 3000 RPM. Limped it home, howling at every stop sign/light and getting some interesting looks from people... Long story short(er), we discovered that at some point someone had taken the carbs apart, possibly to put in the jet kit I supposedly have, and one of the pilot screws had backed out. I actually found it laying on top of the engine. Put it back in, but I could never get the thing running right, so I hauled it off to the local Suzuki/Kawasaki/Triumph dealer. $700.00 later, I had a rebuilt rack of carbs. Seems someone had managed to bend all four of my float assemblies at some point in the past.

Then it got the forks rebuilt, new chain and sprockets, new tires, new front brake pads, oil change and new battery. Also replaced a cracked clutch cover that was seeping a little oil. None of this was really pictured or documented, because most of it was basic maintenance that's already well-documented elsewhere here on KR. I also picked up a fastener kit from somewhere and replaced those missing bolts as well. At this point I finally had a reliable bike and rode all over the place. Including from Iowa out to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and almost back again... I say almost because the idiot at the controls (read "Me") tried to go too fast around a corner in Colorado and lowsided his Katana. I replaced the missing rearview mirror and fixed the cracked generator cover with JB Weld. And rode it the rest of the summer.

Still awake?

Fast forward to today. I picked up a full set of tupperware for the Katana: http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow for $275.00. I also have replacement rear blinkers waiting to go on as well as a replacement generator cover to replace the JB Welded one. I'll be getting to that sometime here in the near future.

One other thing I'm trying to figure out is what exactly I have for an exhaust. I don't think it's a 600 Pre exhaust, as it's melted the **** out of my lower fairings. I don't want to put the new ones on until I get that issue squared away. I also don't enjoy having to pull my header off in order to change my oil filter. So I'm open to suggestions as far as exhaust goes. I would imagine a Post98 oil pan and exhaust would probably be the easiest way to go?

I also need to replace my rear rotor and pads.

The rest of my wish list includes a B1200 rear shock, and maybe a Busa front-end swap.

I'm sure I'll change my mind several hundred times before I'm done...
    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

You want me to move this to the long term projects section?

Comment

Oops. Yeah, if you would.
      1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

no problem

Comment

Question: If I were to put the stock exhaust (header, pipe and muffler) from a 98+ (along with the oile pan/pickup too) on my pre 600 with a jet kit, would there be any adverse affects to having the jet kit with stock exhaust?

To switch over to Post exhaust, I need the following:
          98+ oil pan
          98+ oil pickup
          Oil pan gasket
          Oil pickup gaskets
          98+ Header
          M8-25 1.25 pitch - Need 8
          New exhaust gaskets - Need 4
          M6-25 1.00 pitch - Need 2

Right?
          Last edited by wraith0078; 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM.
          1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Originally posted by wraith0078 View Post
            Question: If I were to put the stock exhaust (header, pipe and muffler) from a 98+ (along with the oile pan/pickup too) on my pre 600 with a jet kit, would there be any adverse affects to having the jet kit with stock exhaust?

To switch over to Post exhaust, I need the following:
            98+ oil pan
            98+ oil pickup
            Oil pan gasket
            Oil pickup gaskets
            98+ Header
            M8-25 1.25 pitch - Need 8
            New exhaust gaskets - Need 4
            M6-25 1.00 pitch - Need 2

Right?
            Stage 1 Kits are generally able to be used with either stock or aftermarket street exhausts. If you want more flow from the post headers, remove the welds and smooth it out... you will have the flow about equal to aftermarket pre exhausts. Stage 1 will cover all variations of that when tuned properly.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey you didn't say anything about getting this up. Now I have another project to watch

Comment

Originally posted by sporty_drew View Post
                Hey you didn't say anything about getting this up. Now I have another project to watch
                Maybe. It's on hold for the time being. That little voice in the back of my head has decided I NEED a Bandit 1200.
                1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Originally posted by wraith0078 View Post
                  Maybe. It's on hold for the time being. That little voice in the back of my head has decided I NEED a Bandit 1200.
                  You heard that voice to? That little voice makes me spend too much money. I can't find an engine around here, but I'll watch through the summer

Comment

Screw the engine. I want the whole bike.
                    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

I didn't realize that's what you mention lol. PM me if you are truly interested in selling your bike. I have a friend looking for his first bike.

Comment

So yeah, in case you guys missed the other thread, I got a B1200 rear shock for $2000.00. It came with a few other parts too...

1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Beauty!

I still don't quite understand why everyone puts a B12 engine in a Kat instead of just getting a Bandit 1200.

I want to have a whole stable of bikes one day...

Jet

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                            Beauty!

I still don't quite understand why everyone puts a B12 engine in a Kat instead of just getting a Bandit 1200.

I want to have a whole stable of bikes one day...

Jet
                            Because I would never have gotten a Kat if I wanted a bantit looks and style bike.

I want a Kat... with oompfff....

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I hope I'm not thread jacking, but since wraith has a Kat and a bandit.

Are there many differences in geometry and function between the Kat and Bandit or are the differences mostly cosmetic??

And I must agree with you Krey, I do like the looks of Kat, but do want oomph of Bandit. The 600 isn't really cutting it anymore. By myself it's not bad but up a steep hill last year I was following an '07 FZ1 and it was tough pulling for the Kat.

Jet

Comment

Working...
                              X