X

the wifes 96 kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the wifes 96 kat 600

I picked this up for the wife Monday because the price was right. I was looking for a starter bike for her and this one fit the bill. It has some cosmetic damage up front but nothing to bad. The stay is bent and it's missing a bunch of the fairing hardware.
    This will be a 2 stage build. I am taking it apart now and will just clean things up and get it road worthy again and after she gets the hang of the ride I will tear it down again and repaint it black (only the right way) and then it will get some pink airbrush work done and some pink paneled into the seats.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Corey/Pictures/bikes/10816054310_ORIG%5B1%5D_jpeg.jpg[/IMG]10816054310_ORIG[1]_jpeg.jpg

It is a little worse off then it looks but it's fixable and it seems to run strong. I road it to work Tuesday and it doesn't have the kind of power I am use to but ran out good and tracked true and thats all that matters. For this first stage I already have a new windscreen, gauge bezel, and mirrors ordered and I sent the seat to my upolstery guy to get about 2" taken out of the seat and I will have that back tomorrow. The wife is a short little thing and I had to get her feet on the ground and this will work great so I don't have to lower the bike. I will get a couple more pics tomorrow, I still need to get some plugs for it, get the front brake fluid changed and bleed the system, change the oil. adjust the chain, and clean the carbs. Next on the list of parts to order is an exhaust. Well that should be a small look into what I am doing and I must be doing the right thing because she is stoked to watch it evolve and can't wait to ride it.
    sigpic
    2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
    2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Good luck on the build.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Ok I got a little done today. I got the seat back, got the plugs changed, and cleaned up some wiring. There is still more wiring to fix and I need to get the oil changed, and the stay tweaked back into place this weekend so I can get the uppers fit back on.

img092.jpg

img095.jpg

The seat turned out pretty good I think but he is going to redo it later on when we pull it back down for paint and change a couple of the panels to pink. I did get the tank put back on and the bike started tonight but waiting on parts to get it back to 100% (other then the crappy paint job thats on it now. I will post the other pics tomorrow after I take them, it got dark on me tonight so didn't get them taken yet.
      sigpic
      2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

Have fun! Sounds like a decent project.
        "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

good luck, have fun and go nuts!
          sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Ok guys and gals sorry I still don't have pics up but she is back together and I took it out for it's first ride a few minutes ago. Other then the exhaust sounding like a** it runs and rides really good. I got to wash the busa and the kat this weekend and I will get some pics put up. I was going to take the wife out for her first ride Saturday but she got sick and is not going to have tome to go get her permit tomorrow like planned. Oh well that gives her a little more book time. I think I will have her ride with me for a bit till she gets the hang of it and then have her take the MSF course.
            sigpic
            2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

This is funny. My first ride was my husband's 96 Kat 600. My husband braved it with me using his bike to learn on until I found my kat. I rode his bike all over a really big parking lot used for events like concerts for a couple of weeks as it is empty there unless something is going on. He rode the bike down there and back so that I was in a safe controlled enviroment and not on the rode, and I also had tons of room for turning so that I had nothing to worry about. Then after several weekends of this I took my motorcycle safety course. Just as soon as I got the paperwork to finish getting my endorsement I then on my first rode trip with it, my husband rode his busa.

Now the only problem is that my husband wants to see me try his busa because he gets a kick out of watching me ride my new kat and he thinks it is hot that a chick would be on a power house like a busa. Only one problem. I know I will like the power and torque it has and I know already that I like to go fast, very fast. If I get on his busa, I may not want to go back to my kat, and I can't afford another bike at this time. Nope, I am not going to listen to his brilliant ideas right now. LOL.

Anyway, hope she loves her bike and all the work you are doing to get it back into riding condition.
              Last edited by SunQuest; 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM.
              sigpic Like usual, It's all my husband's fault... After insisting that his woman should try out his yellow Kat, I just had to get my own Kat! I really should quit listening to his brillant ideas.

Comment

wow, the shaved seat looks really good, and gives it a custom look.

Comment

Originally posted by SunQuest View Post
                  This is funny. My first ride was my husband's 96 Kat 600. My husband braved it with me using his bike to learn on until I found my kat. I rode his bike all over a really big parking lot used for events like concerts for a couple of weeks as it is empty there unless something is going on. He rode the bike down there and back so that I was in a safe controlled enviroment and not on the rode, and I also had tons of room for turning so that I had nothing to worry about. Then after several weekends of this I took my motorcycle safety course. Just as soon as I got the paperwork to finish getting my endorsement I then on my first rode trip with it, my husband rode his busa.

Now the only problem is that my husband wants to see me try his busa because he gets a kick out of watching me ride my new kat and he thinks it is hot that a chick would be on a power house like a busa. Only one problem. I know I will like the power and torque it has and I know already that I like to go fast, very fast. If I get on his busa, I may not want to go back to my kat, and I can't afford another bike at this time. Nope, I am not going to listen to his brilliant ideas right now. LOL.

Anyway, hope she loves her bike and all the work you are doing to get it back into riding condition.
                  That is funny because this kat is to get her ready for a busa. That is her ultimate goal. I figure she can ride this for a year or 2 and move her up to a 750 gixxr and then from there to a gixxr 1k and then a busa. I am not sure if that is the way it will go but thats the way we are thinking now. If you are riding the kat with no problem and enjoy the power then maybe you are ready to jump on the busa. I am not sure what all your husband has done to his but mine is not stock so be careful if you choose to try it because the power in the bottom is insane, fun, alot of fun, but insane. Your husband is right it is hot to see a women ride and enjoy doing so thats why my wife is starting to get into it as well. She has always wanted to but always thought people would look at her funny for being a chick on a sportbike and I just convinced her not care what everyone else thinks.
                  sigpic
                  2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

Is it possible to " Shave " the seat on a 98+ Kat??

What exactly goes into the process?? I know this may sound ridiculous but not quite sure if they take the foam out? or do they change the contour of the seat underneath? How is it done exactly?

2 Inches of material to take out is alot, not sure it would be comfy after that.

Comment

I have ridden the bike for 2 days now after putting it back together and the seat is quite comfy. I don't mean to be a smart azz but you asked how they shave the seat and what I can tell you is yes they do take foam out and yes 2 inches is alot but its really only 1inch in height and 1/2 inch in width on both sides so her legs are 2 inches lower if that makes any sense to you. In short her legs are not as spread out which = length and then another inch in the butt of the foam. As for how it is done,,,I call a buddy and say "hey dude this is what i need done" he comes to my house grabs the seat and brings it back the next day all done.
                      sigpic
                      2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

Ok I have been saying I would post pics and I haven't done it yet so here you go. It is all done and ready to ride.

img108.jpg

img109.jpg
                        sigpic
                        2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

Let's hope she appreciates the efforts!
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If not then I guess I sell it and get me a 750 gix LOL
                            sigpic
                            2004 hayabusa LE-my ride

Comment

"Me"....... Fruedian slip. But a good choice .
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X