No announcement yet.
X

Gas Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here in colorado our lowest rating is 85. Now almost every car around here has a rated minimum of 87. Everyone uses 85 in their car (unless it is a sport). Should I use 85 like my van (and everyone else) or use the rated 87 like it says in every manual?

Comment

Most definately get your gas from a reputable, well known station. Normally the ones that are directly owned by a refinery are your best bet but even that isnt always the case.

Around here HESS is the worst stuff around, so I never to their stations for gas. You're usually safe with Sunoco or Mobil stations. Ive got a friend who works in Michigan and deals with petrolium products and information all day long so what he tells me, I can usually bank on.

Comment

I`ve filled up with premium Sunoco since I got my bike, however I was considering mid-grade to compare. I think I`ll give it one tank this weekend to see if I can detect a difference.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

I used to work for testing lab that was responsible for testing all types of lubricants, fuels and other automotive fluids. You would really be surprised in the differences in the quality of gas in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr
            I used to work for testing lab that was responsible for testing all types of lubricants, fuels and other automotive fluids. You would really be surprised in the differences in the quality of gas in Canada.
            Are you saying the quality of gas in Canada is better or worse?

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr
              Could you elaborate further?
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

87 is fine in the winter but if you have an ignition advancer installed along with riding in hot weather or stop & go traffic you may be better off with the mid grade 89. i only used 89 in my katana.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                  Higher octane burns slower, so if the engine doesn't have the aforementioned higher compression ratio, it can actually cause a power loss.
                  I don't think thats true..
                  Yes higher octane burns slower..
                  But that isn't connected to the compression ratio.
                  (except that it's usefull to high compression)

*You want your gas to burn slow so that it is still burning
                  at the bottom of the stroke.
                  This way the combustion is still "pushing" the
                  piston and not quiting half way. So you get "more"
                  power from the higher octane fuel.

*High compression engines run the risk of predetonation
                  (pinging) this is where the compressed gas
                  has enough heat (from the compression and the head heat)
                  to light off the fuel and start burning before the
                  piston is starting down. Causing a "ping"
                  and huge damaging forces to the piston, rods and bearings.
                  Higher octane helps prevent that.
                  Carbon deposits also create pinging
                  because the carbon can stay really hot and lights off the fuel.
                  (the case in poorly cared, for older engines)
                  Diesel engines run really high compression, up to twice that
                  of a normal engine. (they run low octane, actually rated on the
                  cetane scale)

Running 93 in an engine designed to burn 87 is like
                  wearing a belt and suspenders.. Who does it really hurt?
                  After all at about 25 cents difference between 87 and 93
                  (your results may differ) and with a Kat getting around 40 mpg.
                  You would have to be really cheap to not go for the higher octane.

I've heard some people say if you put the 93 in it, then you have to all the time,
                  Does that make sense? It's like if you used Armor All once you have to
                  use it all the time other wise the part will decay faster then if you never used it. (I have heard that one too)
                  That would imply there was a change made to the engine
                  by running the high octane fuel.

Comment

1. A stock Katana does not need more than 87. Period.
                    2. You will not make more power on higher octane alone. Period.
                    3. Any vehicle should run the lowest octane that does not cause pre-detonation.
                    4. Using anything higher than #3 is strictly a waste of money.
                    5. Higher octane gas is not more powerful, octane is not a measure of power.

Ignition advance may require higher octane, as would changes to a thinner head gasket or higher compression pistons. Exhaust, intake and temperature or altitude changes would be better resolved with jetting changes.
                    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by gibwar
                      Ok, here in colorado our lowest rating is 85. Now almost every car around here has a rated minimum of 87. Everyone uses 85 in their car (unless it is a sport). Should I use 85 like my van (and everyone else) or use the rated 87 like it says in every manual?
                      High altitude, less O2 in the air, so the fuel is a lower grade to compensate. You would probably be okay using 85 in the bike at altitude.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                        1. A stock Katana does not need more than 87. Period.
                        2. You will not make more power on higher octane alone. Period.
                        Maybe the difference between 87 and 93 offers no HP gain
                        imn a stock engine..
                        But knowing that you are burning and not ever predotonating
                        means you are getting the most.
                        3. Any vehicle should run the lowest octane that does not cause pre-detonation.
                        My question: Why?
                        4. Using anything higher than #3 is strictly a waste of money.
                        In your Suburban? yes.. In your Kat (or any motorcycle)
                        big deal. How much money would you save every year
                        using 87 over 93? If you rode 20,000 miles a year you might
                        spend $125/ year more in gas. That's what? 10%?
                        If your motorcycle is making great power and torque
                        are you going to fight to go from 40 MPG to 44MPG?
                        Another example, "there is no advantage to using anything
                        but plain steel screws."
                        Well you might not need the rust resistance of Stainless.
                        You might not need the added strength.
                        But that doesn't stop me from replacing the cheap, zinc
                        plated phillips head screws of my carb for "expensive",
                        stainless socket head screws.
                        The peace of mind knowing that these screws will come out
                        when I want them to and won't rust is worth the money.
                        Just as using higher octane gas..
                        Is there anyone here that will say using high octane gas is bad?
                        Or that Suzuki would advise against it?
                        5. Higher octane gas is not more powerful, octane is not a measure of power.

Ignition advance may require higher octane, as would changes to a thinner head gasket or higher compression pistons. Exhaust, intake and temperature or altitude changes would be better resolved with jetting changes.

Comment

I run 93 octane in my 05 katana and I love the way my bike runs.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, have you tried running 87 or 89 in it? If so, did you notice it running any less better than with the 93 octane?

You shouldnt have to run 93 octane in an '05.

Comment

Highest we have around here is 91 which is what I try and use whenever possible.. I have used lower in a pinch (both 89 and 87) and it does spit and sputter a lot more and also feels like there is more hesitation when you get on the throttle then when using the 91.
                              signature coming soon

The goal in life is not to leave this world with a perfectly intact, unmarred body but to slide sideways into the grave screaming HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

guys, i put 89 in my porsche, AND i have a heavily modded kat (99kat600) and i only use 89... if you have pinging is the ONLY time you should step up to a higher level gas, OR if your running forced induction (turbo, S/C)

you WILL NOT see any more HP from a difference in pump gas.

if you keep toping off with premium, your throwing your money away. for anyone who says they have problems with lower grade gas, MAYBE you have a problem with your bike, clean your carbs adjust your idle, or something.
                                99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                                X