X

Katana's can fly!! (kinda long)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana's can fly!! (kinda long)

Well, I don't think they're supposed to, but mine had both wheels off the ground for a second today

I went for my first big group ride with some guys of Sportbikes.net figuing it would only be about 5 bikes... when I get to the gas station we're meeting up at there's about 25 bikes! Turns out we were riding with the local Ducati club, some pretty cools guys, and very good riders... mostly. There were tons of Monsters, an Aprilla Mille R, a couple 1200cc BMWs and all manner of Jap SS bike.

Since I've only been riding about a year on the street (tons of dirt expereince growing up though), I hung at the back. The pace wasn't too fast, and I was riding well within my comfort zone, but apparently the guy on the 620 Monster Dark in front of me wasn't. We come up on a blind left-hander doing about 50, it was marked 35 so I wasn't pushing at all.

So I set up my line so I don't have to get in close to the center line and notice the Monster stand up and STOP in the middle of the corner! He saw a couple rocks and just stopped. I was already commited and didn't have time to stop beside him so I could figure I had 2 choices. #1 cut hard left and go into the other lane and possibly on-coming traffic. That may have worked out, or there may have been a truck there and an ambulance OTW. #2 run through the weeds and try to keep it up. I chose #2.

Luckily, the weeds weren't too high and there weren't any obstacles to hit. So I run up this decently steep hill at 40 or so and get it turned back toward the street. Then I see that there is a slight ditch in front of me that is basically a 3ft ramp up to the road. Can't hit the brakes in the grass at this speed so I head towards it at maybe 30. Stand up a bit and gas it a little right before I hit the ramp (to lighten the front a bit) and BOING! WE HAVE LIFTOFF! She landed nice and straight and didn't bounce around at all.

A bit stunned I shake it side to side to make sure everything is still in order. Nothing seemed wrong so I rode to the next stop about 5 miles away. I checked it out at the gas station and I didn't even get it dirty

The guy on the Monster was very apologetic at the gas station, and I made sure I rode a couple riders in front of him the rest of the day.

Moral of the story, if you're riding with people you don't know leave TONS of room between you and the guy infront of you. Who knows how (un)expereinced he/she may be. Those couple extra second may keep you from earning your flight wings!

I'm just glad luck was on my side and I was able to learn such a valuable lesson without any real cost other than a little hurt pride

Be careful out there guys!
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

damn your lucky

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
      damn your lucky
      Definately
      Kyle

Comment

great to here you are alright. I couldn't imagine being airborn on a 500 pound bike, i even have reservations if the front wheel comes off the ground. YEah i would have been little pissed at that dude on the monster. Because what if you had no other option than hit him and you both slide into the other lane and then get hit. I have never riden in groups, just me and one other guy, and i am usually way out ahead of him, but i tell him, i take alot of the lane and i like to have room. I wonder if FAA knows about the flying kat? hahahah

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I agree, totally lucky. Had it been any other part of the road and the ditch wasn't shaped "just so" I wouldn't have been able to keep it upright.
          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
          2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by Kila-Beave
            ... I wonder if the FAA knows about the flying Kat?
            I already put in for the tail numbers, don't know where I'll fit the radio equipment though
            - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
            2005 F4i -

Comment

Those offroad tires really help eh!

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                great to here you are alright. I couldn't imagine being airborn on a 500 pound bike.....
                It's kind of fun actually. The driveway to the "several" parking lots for mt apt complex has 3 hills. the second and 3rd one have given me alot of thrills since I have been here. A crack of the throttle at the bottom of them is garanteed lift off. Both wheels....at least a foot of the ground.....with maybe 10ft of travel. I love it. Unfortunatly my fork seals don't....so I don't do it very often anymore.

Kila....cool story bud. Good job at keeping it on 2 wheels.
                +1 one to you being lucky.

good job.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Re: Katana's can fly!! (kinda long)

Originally posted by Kila-Beave
                  (tons of dirt expereince growing up though)
                  No luck involved, that experience carried you through.

Lance Armstrong races cyclocross in the offseason. In stage 9 of the 2003 Tour de France (here's the story), Beloki went down just ahead. Lance veered off the side of the pavement to avoid him. He had to ride across a farmer's field, dismount, vault a ditch, and remount to get back in the race. Even on a road bike his offroad skills paid off: he stayed upright even on skinny slick road-racing tires, and his running remount was a textbook-perfect cyclocross move.

Comment

I didn't realize the Kat was designed for off-road use. I'll have to check it out for myself. On second thought, I'll just keep the tires planted on ashphalt.
                    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Nice riding,dirt bike exper. helps doesnt it?Funny thing you were talking about a Ducati club. Last season I was out with my Dad on his Triumph,wife on the Ninga 250 and brother in law on a Roadstar Warrior. We passed a gas station where there were 6 to 7 dudes on Ducatis,Aprrilias and such. I new they would follow to prove something,they just had the look,well we were doing about 60 or so and they blew past us on a long straight, At the end of the staight there was a nice sweeper that we could have done without reducing any speed but these dudes started flapping their rt. arms at each other to slow down,I'd say they went around the corner at about 35 MPH maybe..Lesson here any Gomer can do 100 on the staights it takes a rider to maintain and have a good smooth all around ride....

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                        I didn't realize the Kat was designed for off-road use. I'll have to check it out for myself. On second thought, I'll just keep the tires planted on ashphalt.

yeah its not the first time a Kat's been doing double duty like that

REally though, yes you were very lucky there weren't any ditches, fallen trees, animals, etc in your way when you went for your little off road adventure but you stayed calm, and just rode it out. Thats the key, stay calm and dont forget what you know and that can carry you through alot of situations. 8)

Comment

That`s very good reaction. We travel in a group up here and have a chain of signals we use from the front of the line to the back.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Working...
                          X