X

Washing your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing your bike

Hey Guys, this may seem like a weird question, but I am new to street bikes and sport bikes in particular. My "New" Katana is out at the shop having the carbs cleaned/sync'd and fuel/fluids flushed and rear pads replaced.

When I get it back one of the first things I am going to want to do is give it a good wash and wax. I enjoy detailing exteriors but I have never washed something as exposed as a bike and I am not sure of precautions I should take to avoid problems short of not spraying the engine down when it's hot.

Another thing that has occurred to me is that waxing the tank to a slippery sheen may not be the brightest idea, but again I could be overthinking it.

Do you guys have any suggestions/tips/warnings?

I use a pressure washer with a foaming soap adapter, wipe the bike down and rinse with the pressure washer. So no pre cautions, it's built to handle water.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Don't pressure wash the wheels or the sprocket cover, it can remove the grease that's supposed to be there. If it's hard to start after washing it, let it dry overnight. Coils/spark plug wires would likely be arching/grounding out somewhere due to the water
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Well keep in mind it's my bike. I know it doesn't have any water issues. I agree about the grease issue unless you plan on regreasing it, which I do often from sand around here.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

If we get a little rain, 2 of my spark plug holes fill up with water and won't drain. The other 2 drain. I washed it and the 2 plug holes were filled up.
          Just something to be aware of. If it won't start, probably have water in the spark plug holes.
          --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
          --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Clear the holes out first.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Easier said than done. I couldn't find the drain holes. BUT, I just picked up a spare motor today and I think I spotted the drain holes from the header side. I'm thinking a pressure washer will clean them right up.

Comment

Just below the header clamps.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Well keep in mind it's my bike. I know it doesn't have any water issues. I agree about the grease issue unless you plan on regreasing it, which I do often from sand around here.
                  Lol, wasn't talking to you about that, it was for the OPs sake.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Wash it? Sure, every time it rains...

70 mph pressure wash, wipe down when I get home, done. Give it a real bath whenever I have to pull the plastic off (valve check, plugs, etc.).

Mine is no showpiece, it's something to be rode hard and put away wet. Literally, since I live in the Seattle area and ride it almost every day.

Comment

[QUOTE=ChandlerW;2369622]Easier said than done. I couldn't find the drain holes. BUT, I just picked up a spare motor today and I think I spotted the drain holes from the header side. I'm thinking a pressure washer will clean them right up.[/Q

easy way to find them: spray some carb cleaner down the spark plug well (with the plug in) and see where the liquid runs out. Works great, plus it helps flush out whatever gunk is in there.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        Lol, wasn't talking to you about that, it was for the OPs sake.
                        I do get odd comments from my neighbor when I blast the bike with a pressure sprayer. Always fires right up. For the op's sake, it's better to find out if you have water related electrical issues before your riding in the rain.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-21-2016, 12:26 AM.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

Any worries about making the tank too slippery from waxing/polishing or is that just nonsense? I plan on getting a tank pad, just don't have one yet.

Comment

Never had a problem with it.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I'm thinking of using a pressure washer and blasting them from the header side. 2 will drain, the other 2 will fill up and stay filled up. No leakage at all.

My last bike I could ride in the pouring rain and it never missed a beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X