No announcement yet.
X

Been looking at a katana and need advice! 95 katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's honestly what it seems they did cuz that's almost exactly double the kbb value. I didn't wanna buy private because I have no clue on what to look for nor know anyone in the area that woukd

Comment

Dealer make more money on used cars and bikes than new because of that practice.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You know what that dealer did to the used Katana? Put a price tag on it... that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          In someones garage.
          If you're lucky.

Could have been under a tarp or just left out in the weather.

--------------------------------------------------------

As much as I like my Kat, as much work as i put into it, I know it will never be worth more than $1200 (as she sits now)-$2000 (with a fair bit more work) , even during prime selling season.

Katana's just don't sell for all that much because they are seen as one of three things by most of the moto community:

1. Ugly, slow, old and heavy.
          2. A slow, old, heavy sport bike (they aren't, a sport bike that is).
          3. A slow, old, heavy, boring, under-suspended, utility bike.

Notice a theme running there?

Even so, it is plenty fast for me, will out accelerate most cars and trucks when needed, handles pretty good once you put a real suspension under it, keeps me entertained and is dead simple as they come to work on.

If you are intent on trying for that Kat, a few things to check out for sure:

What, exactly, that 90 day warranty covers and excludes.

Date code on the tires? Anything over 5 years needs replacement.

All the other rubber bits that degrade with lack of use (basically ALL of them).

Date of last oil change?

Date of last brake fluid flush?

New brake pads or originals still in it?

Have the carbs been rebuilt? Cleaned properly? Touched at all?

Tank in good shape inside?

Chain in good shape?

Any fluid leaks showing?

Cables lubed?

Lights all work?

Charging system operation as it should?

That $3000 price might actually be good if ALL of the above have been done (properly) or replaced by the dealership recently.
          Last edited by skjeflo; 06-04-2016, 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Statistically, a "shop" rebuilds a set of carburetors properly like 2% of the time. So it's not looking good.

Comment

Honest Thoughts

I have a 2002 Katana 600. I have owned a CBR600 as well to compare to. While the CBR honestly is VERY noticeably faster, the Katana is by far preferable. My 600 is still very quick (compared to most cars or cruiser motorcycle) so no problem blitzing most traffic. I would imagine a 750 is faster. The Katana really will give you sportbike fun with all day comfort. I take 1000+ mile touring trips on my 600 3-4 times per year.

However, be wary of buying from dealers. Likely, they haven't serviced the bike any better than a private seller. They are priced WAY too high and they likely don't know anything more about that bike than you do. They don't know the service history, they probably didn't ask.

I think the Katana is the perfect bike, but I wouldn't buy one from a dealer. I would pay more than KBB if the condition of the bike far surpassed what a typical similar year would look like. I paid $2,000 for my 2002 600 with 6,000 miles on the clock, single owner PERFECT records (annual oil changes about 700 miles apart, annual carb cleanings, brand new tires) and show-room perfect cosmetic condition.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                If you're lucky.

Could have been under a tarp or just left out in the weather.

As much as I like my Kat, as much work as i put into it, I know it will never be worth more than $1200 (as she sits now)-$2000 (with a fair bit more work) , even during prime selling season.

Katana's just don't sell for all that much because they are seen as one of three things by most of the moto community:

1. Ugly, slow, old and heavy.
                2. A slow, old, heavy sport bike (they aren't, a sport bike that is).
                3. A slow, old, heavy, boring, under-suspended, utility bike.

Notice a theme running there?

Even so, it is plenty fast for me, will out accelerate most cars and trucks when needed, handles pretty good once you put a real suspension under it, keeps me entertained and is dead simple as they come to work on.

If you are intent on trying for that Kat, a few things to check out for sure:

What, exactly, that 90 day warranty covers and excludes.

Date code on the tires? Anything over 5 years needs replacement.

All the other rubber bits that degrade with lack of use (basically ALL of them).

Date of last oil change?

Date of last brake fluid flush?

New brake pads or originals still in it?

Have the carbs been rebuilt? Cleaned properly? Touched at all?

Tank in good shape inside?

Chain in good shape?

Any fluid leaks showing?

Cables lubed?

Lights all work?

Charging system operation as it should?

That $3000 price might actually be good if ALL of the above have been done (properly) or replaced by the dealership recently.

Yeah I know they are more sport touring. Which I like because I'd ride it ro work everyday which is an 1hr commute and also a 4 hrs rode on weekends some times.

When you say boring and slow like can you do anything to idk modify them? To make faster or something?

Thank you for that list I'll go through and and see. I'm just gonna do the look over and see if he will negotiate price if not guess I need to find a new bike haha

Originally posted by pikachukat View Post
                I have a 2002 Katana 600. I have owned a CBR600 as well to compare to. While the CBR honestly is VERY noticeably faster, the Katana is by far preferable. My 600 is still very quick (compared to most cars or cruiser motorcycle) so no problem blitzing most traffic. I would imagine a 750 is faster. The Katana really will give you sportbike fun with all day comfort. I take 1000+ mile touring trips on my 600 3-4 times per year.

However, be wary of buying from dealers. Likely, they haven't serviced the bike any better than a private seller. They are priced WAY too high and they likely don't know anything more about that bike than you do. They don't know the service history, they probably didn't ask.

I think the Katana is the perfect bike, but I wouldn't buy one from a dealer. I would pay more than KBB if the condition of the bike far surpassed what a typical similar year would look like. I paid $2,000 for my 2002 600 with 6,000 miles on the clock, single owner PERFECT records (annual oil changes about 700 miles apart, annual carb cleanings, brand new tires) and show-room perfect cosmetic condition.
                I did look at a honda car as well as the gsxr but that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Able to handle at least 600 mile round trips but still be as fun as a sportbikes.

Yea I'm noticing that pattern about dealers haha. I just could not find a katana worth it from private sellers or one that wasn't extremely ugly looking!
                Damn that sounds like a dream! Yea I bet they haven't done much if it all with servicing it or anything. I just know cosmetically there was no damages or anything that's about it. I may look it over with that list of points sjkeflo has mentioned and possibly try for lower. I doubt they'll know all thathe ha
                Last edited by Bigworm_187; 06-05-2016, 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                X