X

Clutch problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problem?

Sometimes when in first on hard acceleration, bike pops into neutral fro first.
    On the side stand, with clutch in and first gear, rear wheel spins pretty good, even get a chattering sound from clutch area. If I hit rear brake, it stops, idle drops a little. If I shift into 2nd and pull clutch in, wheel doesn't spin.
    Driving around, at stop, bike doesn't creep in first with clutch in.
    Do I have a clutch problem?

your clutch is likely out of adjustment. Try turning the adjuster on the left handlebar. If that doesn't work, there's an adjuster on the lower left side of the bike. It is behind a rubber cap that is removed using just your fingers. Using a 10mm wrench and flathead screwdriver, loosen the nut with the wrench and turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise 1-2 turns with the screwdriver then while holding the adjuster with one hand, re-tighten the but with the 10mm wrench and press back on the rubber cover.

You didn't mention what bike you have. My advice offered is for a post-Kat 600 btw
    Last edited by clevelandmanwhore; 05-21-2016, 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandmanwhore View Post
      your clutch is likely out of adjustment. Try turning the adjuster on the left handlebar. If that doesn't work, there's an adjuster on the lower left side of the bike. It is behind a rubber cap that is removed using just your fingers. Using a 10mm wrench and flathead screwdriver, loosen the nut with the wrench and turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise 1-2 turns with the screwdriver then while holding the adjuster with one hand, re-tighten the but with the 10mm wrench and press back on the rubber cover.

You didn't mention what bike you have. My advice offered is for a post-Kat 600 btw
      He's got an 1100, hydrolic clutch. Spot on for a cable clutch though.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
        Sometimes when in first on hard acceleration, bike pops into neutral fro first.
        On the side stand, with clutch in and first gear, rear wheel spins pretty good, even get a chattering sound from clutch area. If I hit rear brake, it stops, idle drops a little. If I shift into 2nd and pull clutch in, wheel doesn't spin.
        Driving around, at stop, bike doesn't creep in first with clutch in.
        Do I have a clutch problem?
        If acceleration is causing the gear to change... and you have to manually shift it back, it's most likely a shift fork issue. That issue can cause additional gear damage so that the cog doesn't hold.

You don't have to split the case to fix it, if that's it... but you will need to drain the oil and take off the side covers and oil pan. Replacement parts are generally not hard to find or overly expensive. Doing it yourself you can probably get back on the road for well under $200. A shop... would proabably quote you 1.5K+ in just shop fees.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks.
          It doesn't do it too often so I'll just ride it until I have time in the fall to do as you said.

Comment

Every time it does that more damage is done to the slots and dogs. If enough damage is done and it doesn't take much, just replacing the fork will not fix the problem. Then you will be splitting the cases to replace gears.

Comment

Working...
            X