X

Leaning In

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning In

Hey fellow Katriders. I'm new to bikes and this being my first bike (02 750), I find quite a bit of push steer or counter steer is required to get a good lean on this bike. I am 5'11 180lbs. I have been experimenting with weight shifting my body on the bike to get a lean instead of push steering. Or at least combining the two methods.

How do you guys ride these heavy sport tourers in corners? My very first corner is when I discovered how heavy these bikes are compared to the bikes at Motorcycle training course...lol Lots more counter steering effort required for sure.

Rebuild the suspension so it's easier to ride. And counter steer is a normal practice.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Rebuild the suspension so it's easier to ride. And counter steer is a normal practice.

Suspension is rebuilt. Still tweaking the settings as its still too stiff up front. Do you normally shift your butt to one side when cornering spiritly or is it redundant? I got the counter steer down now. Was a bit tricky the first couple of days riding. Now its second nature.

Comment

Always shift your weight and counter steer. Once the suspension is setup, it will handle with less effort and be more stable.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

leaning into the turn reduces the lean angle of the bike.
          Edit: Sorry, it was late...
          Leaning off the bike, reduces the lean angle of the bike.
          The amount of counter steer (push) needed to turn the bike is a function of the weight, the tires, and the rake/trail.
          Last edited by Black_peter; 04-24-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Okay....thanks for the informative help fellas. I was playing around shifting my weight on the bike to help with cornering this weekend and it makes a huge difference.

Comment

As mentioned, I would also suggest you revisit the height / sag adjustments for the front and rear of the bike. A slow turning bike generally suggests the rear is too low/front too high.

A small adjustment can make a huge difference.

When you rebuilt the suspension, was it back to stock or did you use aftermarket parts?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                As mentioned, I would also suggest you revisit the height / sag adjustments for the front and rear of the bike. A slow turning bike generally suggests the rear is too low/front too high.

A small adjustment can make a huge difference.

When you rebuilt the suspension, was it back to stock or did you use aftermarket parts?

Krey

Good point. I used stock parts for the rear I believe. The Suzuki dealer did it for me. To check height on the front and rear, where do you measure from on both locations to determine proper height of both front and rear?

Comment

Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
                  Good point. I used stock parts for the rear I believe. The Suzuki dealer did it for me. To check height on the front and rear, where do you measure from on both locations to determine proper height of both front and rear?
                  I don't have specific heights to give you... that's all depends on your riding style and preference.

Drop the front by 5mm... give it a ride test to see how you like it. If it's an improvement, do another 5mm... check again.

Once you get to the point you want it, note where for future ref.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sweet will do. I do believe the heights are off since I went to a rear 160/60 tire. This should make a nice difference to lower the front.

This is accomplished by raising the fork height in the triple?

Comment

Dated with bad acting, but the info is good if you haven't read the book.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                        Dated with bad acting, but the info is good if you haven't read the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwyOCdUup8

The only thing that makes this video worth watching is the content. The acting is uber annoying tho...almost like it was produced in Canada or something...LoL

Comment

Working...
                        X