Another tyre question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tyre question

Hi All,

I have a pre 750 with a 4 1/2" rear wheel upgrade. My rear tyre is an Avon Distanzia which fits well, but is getting worn and I want to replace it.

Problem is, most tyres I want to look at i.e. Mitas or Heidenau are only available in 150/70-17 but their respective websites don't give information on rim fitment.

Will a 150/70-17 fit okay? What about 170 wide?

TIA.

150 maybe too small 170 would fit.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks.
      Looking at the Heidenau website the 150 is 166 max width whereas the 170 is 185 max width so I'll have to see if it will physically fit. The rear brake torque arm has already been adapted for a wider tyre !!

Comment

I am a bit confused as many commentators state that a 170 is too wide for a 4 1/2" rim due to "mushrooming" which leads to increased wear down the centre of the tread and chicken strips at the edges. However, looking on the Continental website, a 170 wide TKC80 will fit rims from 4" to 5 1/2" and a 150 will fit 3 1/2"" to 4 1/2" I appreciate that all tyres are different. Which will fit best? I would prefer it to look ballooned instead of mushroomed.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Comment

170 is too big for a stock Kat wheel. 4.5" is not a stock Kat wheel. Tire manufacturers do chart rim width for their tires. This is good info http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104600
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks...that's a useful link. I did mention in my first post that the rear wheel has been changed to a 4 1/2".

I did look at the rim charts of some of the tyre manufacturers but each tyre they make has such a large range of rim sizes they will fit. Many state that a 170 wide tyre is okay on a 4 1/2" wheel. The size I need, 160 wide is not available in the tyres I am looking at. There is often only 150 or 170 wide available.

Comment

I don't know how your bike was adapted for the wider rear rim, so I can't answer your question fully.

I can say that a 170 on a 4.5" rim in a stock pre kat swingarm is a no go. The swingarm would need to be modified to fit.

A 160 can fit, but it's real dang tight.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll go with that. Krey knows wide wheel adaption. He mods the Kat swing arm for just that...
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I've got a 160 on at the moment but the tyres I am looking at that will fit will be 150 wide. The manufacturers' fitment charts show that they will fit on a 4.5" rim okay

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X