Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Newbie to Kats, have a used bike question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Kats, have a used bike question.

I am new to Kat's, but not riding. I was wondering if Kat's have the same common issues as other used bikes. Or, pitfalls rather. For one thing do they have 2nd gear issues like other bikes? What is high mileage for a well maintained Kat with records? It's hard to tell by looking if a bike has been abused, so I had always said after getting burned I would never buy another used sportbike. If I want a Kat I will have to buy used, it's got me worried. I want one for commuting, and weekend riding in the slow lane. It seems perfect to me. Heavy enough to not be blown around like a leaf on the highway, simpler air cooled engine, parts readily available and relatively cheap. It's not a fire breathing sportbike, I consider that an asset.

Second gear can be an issue on the Kat, poor storage will result in fuel system issues. The rear shock most likely needs replaced. Test ride it first. Hard starting, sloppy suspension, rusty chain, oil on the forks, Cracking tires... OP sloppy mods ( if it doesn't look right, it most likely isn't), check the tank for rust ( bring a mirror on an extension and a flash light to inspect the top of the tank inside). Just the normal bike stuff...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I believe the second gear issue was mainly in the Pre 98 Kats, I can not remember hearing anyone with a 98+ with gear issues, but that could just be my bad memory.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

True, more so on the pre Kats
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys. I have been watching craigslist. One will pop up soon that doesnt look clapped out.

Comment

What kind of price range are you looking for?

I have a 95 kat body with a new 02 600cc engine and exhaust installed that I'm about to pull out of storage and do a basic oil change/carb cleaning on to sell.

After the cleaning I'd be looking for arounbd $1800.

KRey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I purchased a 750 in January, snow on the ground. It was well cared for and had some upgrades. The seller also had the original exhaust which was a plus. Immaculate! 10k miles on it. People with those kind for sell have been asking $2800 to $3400 which is way too high. Start with a low ball offer and you might save $800-$900. Expect to pay even less for a 600. Now that tax season and spring is here, people will think they can get more money out of their bike
              2006 750

Comment

Working...
              X