No announcement yet.
X

Tank sealers- maybe shouldn't be used?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank sealers- maybe shouldn't be used?

My por 15 sealer is toast. Before pouring in por praise and blaming me for poor prep, hear me out...
    The stuff looks soft and Gummy in the tank. Chemicals that are good to remove it include mek, acetone and toluene .
    Aren't those also octane boosters? And, is it possible that stuff is being dumped in gas to boost octane?
    There are dozens of gas formulations at least, so I think it possible .
    Would I be better off just using electrolysis to remove rust ever couple of years?

POR 15 is easy as hell to use. Did you not mix the two parts correctly?
    A rusty tank will leave you stranded on the road side, not worth the expense and headache.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I did it perfect ( I knew I'd get blamed!), let it dry for week , looked real good.
      The stuff has softened up, was sitting with full tank of gas with stabil for a year.

Comment

Hmmm, never had that happen. Might be the stabil doing that.. POR-15 is pretty tough stuff.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Hmmm, never had that happen. Might be the stabil doing that.. POR-15 is pretty tough stuff.
          If is so tough, why does it dissolve when exposed to toluene?

Comment

Well bikes don't run on toluene, which is a powerful solvent. Once POR-15 cures properly it's supposed to be chemical resistant.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-13-2016, 07:46 PM.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Well bikes don't run on toluene, which is a powerful solvent. Once POR-15 cures properly it's supposed to be chemical resistant.
              That's my point. If the gas you buy has any toluene or something similar, your tank liner is toast.

Comment

Something failed somewhere
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I think all all of the sealers can be affected by things like xylene and toulene, both are aromatics that can be found in gas. How much does it take to melt the lining?
                  Who knows?
                  I know the paint remover I used has methyl chloride, acetone and toulene and some have posted on other forums that pure toulene or acetone will dissolve it easily. A can of berrymans sitting in there should be good for final removal, then again, anyone with a coated tank should make sure not to use something like Berrymans in their fuel!
                  I am thinking that the best way to treat a tank might be to use electrolysis to get rid of the rust, then plate it with something like nickel. Off hand, the only metal I know of that won't rust would be gold, hopefully there is something a little cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                  X