X

2nd Season 1st Kat 600 ?'s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Season 1st Kat 600 ?'s

I took the MSF and started out last year on a 2007 ninja ex250. Got it mid season and took it easy. By the end of the Season, it was obvious I needed something larger. (It not being able to get out of its way and being so light and twitchy) . I purchased a 1998 Katana beginning of the winter for best price and it seemed a good transition. I have the bug, dreaming of being on 2 wheels all winter... Lol. But I love my young kids and wife more, so I wear all the gear and read, watch, And learn all I can get my hands on, for safe riding tips. My question, before trying out the Kat ( new Pirelli diablo supersport tires mounted and bike serviced), is will she be to much bike for second year? This forum seemed the most validating route for this inquiry. I am 37 165lbs. 5'10". I love the way it feels to sit on, but want assurance that when I head out (aside ffrom foolish whisky throttle stuff), will it allow me to progressively get to speed comfortably, without taking off, while my brain is trying to catch up? Thanks in advance.
    Act by the plumb.

Katana's are decent bike for the seasoned beginner. I think you will do just fine. They aren't stupid fast but definitely pretty peppy. I started riding on cruisers and went to the katana. Had it for 4 years. Last summer I was starting to kick around the idea of wanting more. Then it got totalled. Soo... Gsxr 750 it is. But anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned. Take ur time, learn as much as you can about proper technique and the ol' Kat will do you good.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Perfect, yah I tried to instill the habit of counter steering with the 250. So that will probably come in handy as it is a deal hevier, but in all, it feels like a good fit. I am on NH back roads that are twisty, but by no means will I be attempting to hit them aggressively. Not until I can learn progressively, the skills to do so and I'm hoping that the Kat will be the bike to learn more with. Thanks for the help.

Any tips then, from those who started out early on a Kat of a similar year and displacement, before I take her out for its maden voyage?
      Last edited by Pucksphantom; 03-11-2016, 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Act by the plumb.

Comment

I rode dirt bike from around 9 -22, I wrote my test for my M licence at 45 bought a 2002 750 Kat the same day(have not been on 2 wheels since I got married at 22). My experience(and I might get blasted, but everyone is different) but after 2-3 weeks getting used to the road and getting used to driving like everyone else is out to kill you(by driving that way I have avoided many situations that would not have ended well for me), I felt I was ready for a larger CC bike(but insurance is crazy expensive up here in Canukia). So long story short I still have and still ride my Kat.

Counter steering is important right from learning to ride a bicycle, has nothing to do with the weight of a bike, just a great skill to have period.

My advise would be to learn the bike, throttle, clutch, braking(specially emergency braking) that would be a must. Till you get comfortable on the bike DO NOT try and attempt anything beyond your skill and comfort level. Also do not try to over think, let things come naturally(clutching,breaking, throttling,ect) concentrate what is going on around you(that might not make sense but after riding a bit, it will).

I think you will love your Pirelli's I had the angel sport touring and they were amazing tires, trying Michelin PR4's this year.

Gear up, ride safe
        Last edited by dano68; 03-11-2016, 04:19 PM.
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Track days, track days, track days. Go to them, and get coached. Safest environment to ride in, and you'll be advised by legit coaches, rather than "highway magicians."
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

thanks for the input. Went out with a friend today for a short ride 20 min there and back. LOVE THE KAT!!! It was what I was hoping for and then some. Plenty of tork and power, but it doesn't make you feel like it's force-feeding you... Lol. Best way I can explain it..... However, any ideas as to what this problem is?? While steady cruising at 4,000 rpm or so, every so often it would slug down, like some one covered it's mouth and then it would take off to normal, often resulting in a stall ( even after engaging the clutch And easing off the throttle, pulling over to see what's wrong). This occurred six times round trip. Beautiful, smooth.... Then it would do this every so often. Any ideas... Mine is a clogged jet... But I'm newbie and only experience with a clogged jet, was an idle jet clog on my ninja 250.
            Act by the plumb.

Comment

They are great bikes! I owned a 1993 for five years and currently own a 2000. Comfort, gas mileage, power, etc. Feather/rev the throttle barely and find the clutch point when it starts to pull and gently let out....youll be fine and will enjoy it, they ride very smooth and look nice. It is all I need. If I want to pass 2,3, cars in a row safely within a second or so, I can...and im very happy with that, its all i need. Once you get used to it, it will make you smile...and will kill you in a second. Be safe and keep it on 2 wheels, always. I stopped one wheelin a few years ago after I lost a couple buddies doing them. Ride safe!

Is the gas good? (I wouldnt use gas more then a month or so old.) Run some sea-foam through her over the next couple days, shake it around, fire it up. Could be a battery? or like you said, carbs are gunked up. How does it idle?? smooth and steady? jumpy, etc?
              Last edited by getwet00kat; 03-12-2016, 09:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Idles perfect starts cold. No choke, and it runs great except for those mishaps... 6 times or so during a 40 mim total trip. My friend thinks I may have been shifting up to soon, without enough rpm, and then rolling on the throttle hard, dumping more fuel than is being used..... I m transition from a ninja 250 2007 last year first year riding..
                Act by the plumb.

Comment

What kind of stall? Slowly dying, or instant cut out?

Slow die might be a kinking fuel line, partially clogged fuel filter, incorrectly working petcock, or a deeper carb gremlin.

Instant cut out would likely be your kickstand or kickstand switch. Hit a bump on the road, kickstand moves, bike thinks the kickstand is down, and cuts power. Half a second later, power back when the kickstand isnt bounding around anymore, and the bike restarts (essentially being roll started)
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I did the Harley version of the MSF course (basically same thing with extra range time). The Kat was my first bike. I did OK with it, so I'd think after a year you'd probably be OK too. However, I'm a lot bigger and heavier so it might be easier for me to muscle the thing around to compensate for my faults as a rider. YMMV, but I'd imagine with appropriate care and planning that a safe experience isn't unreasonable to hope for.

Comment

The stall is only secondary, the primary problem is the choppy, hoppy, bucking like it's running out of gas, and then taking off, after several times it then usually will end in a stall, coupled sometimes with a pop out the exhaust. My friend had put it to Prime, so I wanted to see today if riding it in the ON position is going to give me resolve.

His other advice was that I could be use to the 250 which I would shift through gears quickly. With the Kat, he thinks I could be shifting to soon, not enough RPM, then rolling hard on the throttle, carbs getting lots of gas, that's not getting used and.... Stutter, stall, pop!??? I don't know. I do know besides this problem, I love the bike.
                      Last edited by Pucksphantom; 03-13-2016, 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Act by the plumb.

Comment

Working...
                      X