X

Look What I Found (Carb Story)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look What I Found (Carb Story)

Late last riding season. It felt that one or more of my carburetors were either out of synch, sticking or something else. As it is almost March, I decided to give my 89 750 Kat a once over. I removed the air box and decided to check the slides. I was on the right side of the bike so I started with carb #4 and worked my way across.

#4 slide was alright, as was #3, but when I check #3, it was getting stuck about 2/3 the weay up. If I played with it, I could get it to go all the way up, but it would get stuck again. This was consistent with the problem I was experiencing. I removed the cap of carb #2 and this is what I found:

Half the spring was horizontal above the diaphragm. The other half was down in the tube. A new oen is $5.49 at the dealer, so no big deal, but I never had a carb spring break in half like this.

I have a very hard time believing that happened naturally. Mistakes were made.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      I have a very hard time believing that happened naturally. Mistakes were made.
      Yeah, but what? I mean the spring fits straight down the tube, what could have happened. I had replaced the diaphragms two years ago and the problem started last September. Can't believe that an incorrect install (if that is possible) would take more than a year to cause a problem.

I have been rebuilding carbs (carbs and bikes) for 30 years and have never run across anything like this. the rest of the carb looks fine.

It is no big deal. I will get another. It could be that it was damaged somehow years ago and was weak. I have only owned the bike since November 2012.

Comment

Don't underestimate the stupid shit you can pull off. From personal experience, I continue to amaze myself with the dumb shit I continually do.

Comment

I hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            from personal experience, i continue to amaze myself with the dumb shit i continually do.
            +1000
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
            X