X

Why all the Katana hate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the Katana hate?

I'm a new owner of my first bike and a 05 Katana 600. I've been on 2 wheels mostly all my life. When I was doing some research for a good beginner bike I saw the Katana getting some hate. The weight, some think it's ugly, etc. When I went to go view the one I got I was almost instantly sold on it. I personally think it's awesome and love that it's a bigger bike with me being a bigger and taller guy. Plus it's comfortable to cruise around on and has pickup if you need it. I love it but just don't understand.

People hate on it because it looks like a sportbike, but in fact is NOT a sportbike. So... Pretty much everybody class it as a sportbike, then compare it to other sportbikes, in which case, it does kinda suck. People can't see far enough past the plastic exterior and respect it for what it is. A mid range power sport tourer.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Neither do I. Love mine so much I bought another

Maybe because it looks like a sport bike? Which... It isn't...
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

All the hate is summed up with two statements. 1) young kids think its a sport bike and try to ride like its one, talking trash while doing so. 2) just plain ignorance concerning the katana. It looks like a sport bike, must be one. Wrong. It's a good all-round commuter bike, designed as a low cost sport styled touring bike. Ride it for what it is not for what it will never be.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

To be honest, If the VFR's were a little cheaper for around the same year as my Katana (2002), I would have gone with the Honda. Being my first bike, I needed a Sports Touring classed bike for cheaper insurance. So I ended up with my Katana.

Personally however, I do think the 98-02 are a little on the not so pretty side of things, especially the taillight and rear fairing. I honestly like the pre 98 way better as far as looks go. I still haven't riden it yet with me living in Canada and being winter and all, but am still looking forward to getting a lot of seat time with this bike. Maybe next I will fork out the money for the VFR or if insurance is cheaper, get an R6.

Comment

Been the VFR route, gave it away. Now a YZF would be a better sport touring bike by far. Post Kats are fugly.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Believe me, sports bikes are not all they're cracked up to be for everyday riding. My Katana for the cheap price I paid for it was the best bang for the buck you would ever find. To this day, my gf keeps asking me, "why did you have to get ANOTHER bike?" I argue the same thing when she finds a good deal on make-up, etc.

I have six sport bikes, excluding the Katana, and the ergonomics of the bars, seating, etc., is not fun for everyday riding. My newest purchase the other week is a Triumph Daytona 955i, and it's probably the most uncomfortable bike I have ever been on. If I coulda found a FZ1 for a few hundred dollars cheaper, I would have gladly bought it over the Triumph.

Let the haters hate, because in the end of the day, it's all about point A to B legally, and a Hayabusa won't get you there any quicker than a Katana, unless you want to pay a hefty fine. I enjoy my A to B in comfort . . .
              '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

I guess it's all to each their own when it gets down to it. I'm not looking for a cheap thrill on this thing by anymeans. The concept in itself is enough for me and I'm satisfied. I foresee keeping mine since it's a blank canvas and runs excellent. I'll leave the debating to the veterans and stay out of it.

Comment

There really is no debate. Some people hate it, I get that. Some people love it, I get that to. Mechanically, it's a piece of shit, outdated in every way. It doesn't suck. Any snot nose Fast and the Furious punk that wants to talk shit about the Katana, guess how much shit I'm talking about you while I change the battery on the gixer your parents bought.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 02-23-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Well it is a sport bike, like a Mustang or Camero is a sports car, well no they're not actually, but they're damb fast and handle really good (mostly).
                      The Corvette and Miata are both sports cars, because they only have 2 seats, equal weight on each axle and independent suspension. Even thought the Miata is wimpy it will out corner a pony car.
                      The Camero has been garbage on the track since concept, but it works real good on US roads and highways, all straight with no curves. The same kinda roads I'd rather ride the Katana.
                      Last edited by buffalobill; 02-23-2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Two seats doesn't make a sports car, IE Smart car.... A sports car is a balanced car, weight, hp/torque and handling.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Actually I haven't heard any Katana hate in 5 years, only encouragement and complements.

Comment

I dont get too much hate either. Maybe cuz Im a little over 6'-1" in my boots and 210 lbs. But in all honesty I've seen the look of disappointment in people's eyes when I told em I had a Katana but nobody has ever had the balls to bash my bike to my face. Lol

And regardless what you say, the Katana is not a true sportbike. It's "sport touring" bike. That is straight out of the mouth of the manufacturer. You can call it what you want, and by all means, ride it how ya want but even after suspension upgrades, carb jetting, timing advance, you're still not gunna keep up with say, a CBR. Which in my opinion is an entry level, low end "sportbike". Period. It's not built for the track, and Suzuki cut all kinds of corners when making it probably to not compete with the gsxr line and/or to appeal to people less worried about big power. You can compare it to a Mazda miata all you want.

....still not a sportbike

Food for thought. I now have an 07 gsxr 750 - a true sportbike. It's a full 120 lbs lighter, and about 10hp short of literally double the power. Track ready out of the crate.

2007 Katana 750 - 485 lbs 92 HP at the crank, sooo what, like 75/80 at the wheel?

2007 gsxr 750 - 360 lbs. 125 HP at the rear wheel.

The numbers speak for themselves
                            Last edited by maniac1886; 02-24-2016, 09:27 AM.
                            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I definitely understand the jist of it all now. People think it's a sport bike which is not and comparing it to a real one is the complete opposite and their feelings get hurt when they look at the facts. Personally could care less, heck I had a 110cc Street legal x19 super pocket bike that I had a blast on. All the negatives towards this bike I've come to appreciate and will be a great learning experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X