Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Strange situation on my project bike. Firing but wont start (maybe a fuel issue?)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange situation on my project bike. Firing but wont start (maybe a fuel issue?)

Hello all,

I am new to the forum so hopefully I have placed this post in the correct spot. I read the post about the spring fire up and have tried all of those tips.

My current situation is that I own a 1992 750 katana. I bought it two years ago as a project bike and have been working away at it. After pulling the carbs and fuel tank, i cleaned them both. I also replaced the fuel lines, I got the bike to start. I never rode it during the season so it sat there for the last six months.

This past month I have finally had time to get some work done on it. I attempted to fire the bike (not changing anything from how it was from before) and it will not fire. I have replaced the battery at a cost of 150 bucks and I am getting solid spark. I have new fuel lines so that shouldn't be the issue. My guess is that there is no fuel making it to the spark plugs. (a friend mentioned to pull the vacuum line from the pet cock and attempt to suck fuel into the carbs, I tried that and was only getting minimal fuel coming from the vacuum line) The tank is about 1/6th full

Extra Note: The kill switch is not on. Fuel lines are on. found the fuel lines and the bike completely bone dry. and yes I am trying to fire the bike with choke on. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Your carbs are gummed up..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

thanks for the post!

So your recommendation would be to pull all the carbs apart again and re-clean everything?

I balanced them this past summer, if I pull them apart will I have to re balance them?

Also I believe that I posted this in the wrong section^^ Sorry

Comment

Wrong section isn't a big deal
        But yes, if you clean them, they will need to be synced again. Anytime they get removed from the bike its necessary.
        The fuel that was in the carbs 6 months ago evaporated and left behind a varnish that gums things up real good. Take a look at Carbs 101 in the wiki for a comprehensive cleaning how-to.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Wrong section isn't a big deal
          But yes, if you clean them, they will need to be synced again. Anytime they get removed from the bike its necessary.
          The fuel that was in the carbs 6 months ago evaporated and left behind a varnish that gums things up real good. Take a look at Carbs 101 in the wiki for a comprehensive cleaning how-to.
          Thank you!

I will go through the guide and give them another solid once over. I am sure this will be the fix as last time seemed to help. I just wasn't sure if I was going to need to re do them again. Looks like I will be taking a little better care of the bike over winter.

On a side note, I know that this is a rookie question, but the seal that contains the float to tell me how much fuel I have, is leaking. Do you know the term for this part so I can get a replacement part?

Really appreciate the help.

Comment

Fuel level sender http://m.ebay.com/itm/89-97-Suzuki-G...307?nav=SEARCH.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by ShawKat View Post
              (a friend mentioned to pull the vacuum line from the pet cock and attempt to suck fuel into the carbs, I tried that and was only getting minimal fuel coming from the vacuum line) The tank is about 1/6th full.
              Wait, wait, wait....

You are trying to suck fuel out of the tank via the vacuum line that connects to the side of carb #4? If you get any fuel out of that line your petcock is leaking. That vacuum line should be just that, a vacuum when the engine is turning over, opening the petcock so fuel can flow into the carbs. The test is to have the petcock set to Run and apply a vacuum to that line, fuel should flow out of the petcock via the two fuel lines not the vacuum line.

Have you tried firing it up with the petcock set to Prime? I know the gas is old but it might be worth a try. As others have noted, gas that dries up (especially E10 or worse) will leave a varnish in the carbs, but depending on storage conditions it might not be that bad. Worst that happens is you have to clean them properly anyway.
              Last edited by skjeflo; 02-17-2016, 12:35 AM. Reason: Because I was tired and posted Reserve instead of Prime (thanks 92zjunker!)

Comment

??? That's what the prime setting does. Petcock Knob pointing to the rear is prime.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I would try setting the petcock on prime and make sure your getting fuel thru the fuel line. If you know you have spark you could remove the filter from the air box and spray a little carb cleaner thru the intake ports to see if it will fire up. If it fires up put some seafoam in the tank before pulling the carbs again...

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke-Dog View Post
                    I would try setting the petcock on prime and make sure your getting fuel thru the fuel line. If you know you have spark you could remove the filter from the air box and spray a little carb cleaner thru the intake ports to see if it will fire up. If it fires up put some seafoam in the tank before pulling the carbs again...

I will give this a shot before doing a full clean of the carbs again. If it doesn't work then I will do the full clean and get back on this forum. It will probably have to wait to the weekend due to working two jobs. Thank you for the input everyone!

Comment

Years ago when I did the carbs on my 03 600 it wouldn't fire up when I was done, ended up bump starting it a few times t'il it finally kicked in on 2 or 3 cylinders. It took about 200 meters before it was running on all 4.
                      Kyle

Comment

Newb question but bump starting is when you run the bike and click it into a gear?

Comment

Yes. If you're new to riding, it's advisable to have a friend push you.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                          X