X

Kat exhaust questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat exhaust questions

I'm about to start mini off road buggy project with a 1990 600f engine. I was planning on building my own exhaust but I recently discovered I may be able to use the stock pipes. The ones I got with the bike were trashed and are long gone. I put an in the wanted section.
    I may still end up having to build a header anyway so I was hoping someone on here may have a stock exhaust that they would be willing to measure for me. I need tube O.D diameter, tube length to the Y's, and total length from head to exhaust tip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    On another note, my bike only had 700 miles on the odometer when I picked it up as a wreck at auction years ago. Everything I salvaged has been in dry storage since. I have a bunch of nearly new parts left over that I would be willing to barter for some pipes or send along to someone who went out of their way to help. All the pretty stuff that gets destroyed in wrecks is gone of course.

Nobody willing to post measurements? I'm about ready to fire up this engine and I really need to build a header. If anyone has a rusted out or smashed exhaust and is willing to cut off the stubs on the engine end, I will be happy to reimburse you for your time and pay for shipping. I'm not looking for freebies. It would be a big help.
    Last edited by ak600oleo; 01-16-2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

If I had a 600 I'd probe/scan the pipes for you...but I don't

Ebay: "1990 katana 600 exhaust" - there's a few sets of pipes, left, right and singles on there. Looks like $120 for the whole set.

Post some pics of your 'toy'

Comment

I have a V&H supersport 4 into 1 pipe here
        primaries are 27" long from head flange to collector ,1.5" ID pipe
        Collector is 2" diameter
        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
        V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
        Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

750 and the 600 of the same model years wouldn't matter, same length, different diameter but will still fit each other. I have a Yoshimura if you want a general measurement it's 1 5/8" diameter,length roughly 27", which puts the collector just past the oil pan.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys. I bought a set off ebay last night to get me going. I'm still going to have to build a header since the buggy will require a totally different routing. Haven't decided 4-1 or 4-2-1, but now I'll have some dimensions to go off to keep it close either way. I want to keep the tuning simple.

I'm away from the shop for the next week. I"ll post some pics when I get back and have a little progress to show.
            Last edited by ak600oleo; 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ak600oleo View Post
              Thanks guys. I bought a set off ebay last night to get me going. I'm still going to have to build a header since the buggy will require a totally different routing. Haven't decided 4-1 or 4-2-1, but now I'll have some dimensions to go off to keep it close either way. I want to keep the tuning simple.

I'm away from the shop for the next week. I"ll post some pics when I get back and have a little progress to show.
              Buying the used stuff will make your life SO much easier...Now all you have to do is tie into the collectors and put the muff where you want it.

Looking forward to seeing pics...Sounds Uber fun!

Comment

I got this engine running today. It's been in storage for 25 years. It fired right up and runs great.

I am going to have to build a header from scratch. There's no way the stock pipes will work for the application. I also discovered I have an '89 not a '90 when the airbox I ordered didn't fit the smaller carbs. Bummed about that but I've already got a solution.

I'm just stoked to see it running. The buggy build is on.

Comment

Working...
                X