X

Solo riders using passenger pegs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo riders using passenger pegs

Thought I'd post it up and see if anyone else does this.

When im out cruising after a hour or so my back and wrists start to cramp and I find using the passenger pegs for relief.

I'm really short so it puts my torso over the tank more and seems to handle better.

obviously this is a bad idea as you have no shift or rear break control.

I was debating on extending the shift rod and moving the shift assembly back towards a more relaxed position.

Our maintenance team at work is allowing use of a mig weilder and the subframe is being chopped and relocated anyways.
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

What? You're not the first to mention that position. Your riding position isn't correct if your back and joints start to hurt. I suspect your back goes first so, you are putting more weight on your wrists to relieve the pain. Try changing the bars to bring them closer to you. If you're short the Kat could splay you out like a sports bike.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      What? You're not the first to mention that position. Your riding position isn't correct if your back and joints start to hurt. I suspect your back goes first so, you are putting more weight on your wrists to relieve the pain. Try changing the bars to bring them closer to you. If you're short the Kat could splay you out like a sports bike.

I suspect your right on the bars being to far away. I look like a little kid on this thing. I try to hug the bike with my legs. The problem is im leaning forward to reach the bars and once my back goes my wrist tires out .

I found if I lay down and rest my torso on the tank its much much more comfortable, I can reach the handlebars since my body is more forward.

It might be my imagination but leaning when turning seems easier?

I figured since im making a new subframe I could make a hanger off of it and fit the break and clutch lever towards The rear of the bike.

My body would make a more horizontal shape And tuck my head further down.
      Last edited by Tekgnome; 12-15-2015, 10:53 AM.
      The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Use your legs and torso to support yourself, not your arms.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I rode that way all the time, but I won't recommend it. Things come up.

Steve, don'cha know you need to get Texas colored in on your map too?
          Last edited by zuma; 12-15-2015, 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Mod it for handlebars

Maybe you should do a mod like this, adapt for handlebars then choose some with enough pull back for you: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...le+bars&page=9

Comment

That actually looks good, I use my legs to support my self but I get worn out leaning forward on long rides.

Is there any down sides to changing the rear sets back and doing a laying down position?
              The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Have u ever hit a big pothole that bucks you off.your seat? Imagine takong a tank to the chest instead of a foam seat to the ass. Could d solid damage. Break a rib even. Not to mention getting bucked off the bike in a laying position is more likely to pop u completely off the bike. Imagine trying to hold on to a tank slapper in the superman position hovering over your bike. Not good.

Another thought is that with your feet behind you and not under you, you lose the ability to absorb shock through your legs. I feel like riding with your feet behind you is a bad idea and unsafe.

Not to attack your person but you are obviously quite excited to have this new.motorcycle and it seems like your trying to go against the grain, doing things that are not the norm, IE dumping tkns of loot and work into a generally crappy performing bike and now talking about different ways of positioning your body. I understand the urge to set yourself apart from other riders but don't reinvent the wheel here. It's round for a reason. I would stick to standard solutions for.the issues you face (height) instead of trying to come up with potentially dangerous work arounds.

Look at page 7 of the thread in my signature, and tell me you would be ok hitting that hole at 40 mph and making it in the laying position. You wouldn't.
                Last edited by maniac1886; 12-15-2015, 03:53 PM.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                  Have u ever hit a big pothole that bucks you off.your seat? Imagine takong a tank to the chest instead of a foam seat to the ass. Could d solid damage. Break a rib even. Not to mention getting bucked off the bike in a laying position is more likely to pop u completely off the bike. Imagine trying to hold on to a tank slapper in the superman position hovering over your bike. Not good.

Another thought is that with your feet behind you and not under you, you lose the ability to absorb shock through your legs. I feel like riding with your feet behind you is a bad idea and unsafe.

Not to attack your person but you are obviously quite excited to have this new.motorcycle and it seems like your trying to go against the grain, doing things that are not the norm, IE dumping tkns of loot and work into a generally crappy performing bike and now talking about different ways of positioning your body. I understand the urge to set yourself apart from other riders but don't reinvent the wheel here. It's round for a reason. I would stick to standard solutions for.the issues you face (height) instead of trying to come up with potentially dangerous work arounds.

Look at page 7 of the thread in my signature, and tell me you would be ok hitting that hole at 40 mph and making it in the laying position. You wouldn't.
                  That my friend is what I was looking for, a clear solid example on why it shouldn't be done.

Ill probably weld the rear sets to the frame or chop the sub frame right after them and keep the stock position.

Its just so dang comfortable using the passenger pegs ill miss them once the subframe has been relocated for the new tail.

I'll work on those handle bars

I live in Cincinnati ohio, we have some of the worst roads in ohio. So so many pot holes.
                  Last edited by Tekgnome; 12-15-2015, 06:55 PM.
                  The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
                    That my friend is what I was looking for, a clear solid example on why it shouldn't be done.

Ill probably weld the rear sets to the frame or chop the sub frame right after them and keep the stock position.

Its just so dang comfortable using the passenger pegs ill miss them once the subframe has been relocated for the new tail.

I'll work on those handle bars

I live in Cincinnati ohio, we have some of the worst roads in ohio. So so many pot holes.
                    I do this to if i know the road really well, definitely agree its not the safest or most effective way of riding but my left wrist was broken a while back and 5-10 minutes riding like this makes a world of difference after you hit about the 2 hr mark for me. Might just invest in some compression tape or some kind of soft brace soon though.

I'm up here in Lima Ohio so i definitely understand the road situation
                    93 katana 750, vance and hines slip on and stage 1 jet kit, who's ready for some fun?

Comment

I live in Flint, Michigan. the official shit hole of the united states. The. Roads. Are. Crumbling. Around. Us.

I dont know if you looked at my thread, but that sink hole was knee deep. It would completely fit a motorcycle helmet and them some IN it. Im lucky there was no real damage, to myself, or my bike. Let me tell ya... WOW what a ride! it was pretty rough. I though for sure my forks or rim was bent. Glad i didnt have a passenger or they probably would have ended up ass deep in that hole. I couldnt imagine having hit it with my chest on the tank. Or even worse, just above it. A hit like that could potentially knock you unconscious. Bad Bad News.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

You are exactly right...I had good West Texas highways with visibility for years. And often there was my tank bag for upper body cushioning, but again, you are right .

Comment

With all the concrete reasons riding like that is a bad idea aside. There is one very simple reason I would never do that. You look like a giant douchebag.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 12-15-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrocop View Post
                            I do this to if i know the road really well, definitely agree its not the safest or most effective way of riding but my left wrist was broken a while back and 5-10 minutes riding like this makes a world of difference after you hit about the 2 hr mark for me. Might just invest in some compression tape or some kind of soft brace soon though.

I'm up here in Lima Ohio so i definitely understand the road situation
                            Oh gawd that's almost as bad as down here.

Did they ever get all that construction finished out going towards reed road?

They have a nice tank plant up there lol

I suppose tanks don't have our problems.

Its been a couple months since ive cruised all the way out there, well that and the bike was down.
                            The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              With all the concrete reasons riding like that is a bad idea aside. There is one very simple reason I would never do that. You look like a giant douchebag.
                              I suppose, but the worst part is when the hose and nozzle wrap around the back axle.

Comment

Working...
                              X