X

Power comander??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power comander??

Hey guys I'm new to the fourm and the bike.
    Tell u a little about me. I'm a new rider and this is my first bike 2004 Suzuki katana 600 and I love the bike lol

So anyways this winter I want to do a couple things but it seems I can't find one vid or any tuning done on theses bikes.
    The list of stuff I would like to do
    Power comander
    Air box delete
    Sprocket update
    Exhaust is halfway done I got a Dan moto sounds hella nice.

So can a power comander work?

Power commanders are for fuel injected bikes. Katd are carbureted. You will need to get a jet kit on order to tune your bike. Probably a stage 1 factory pro kit. Taking the airbox off a bike running CV carbs like kats use is generally a bad idea and will cause more of a headache than benefits.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

So really its just a jet kit I can do and doing air filters is just going to be something I should not do at all I thought better air flow would be good

Comment

Carb'd bikes need Air + fuel + spark to make power. They need it in certain ratios designed by engineers to maximize combustion.

Most carb'd bikes are tuned lean to meet emissions standards.

So you can add a jet kit to most carb'd bikes, get a little extra oomph, and not need to mess with the air filter.

Running pods is certainly the road to disaster.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yes you should use a jet kit, and theres not much else you can do. The problem with pod air filters is that they provide too much flow. The carbs work on back pressure created by the airbox. Removing that introduces a number of problems. another issue with pod filters is that when in an airbox environment, all 4 carbs have the same amount of back pressure and flow, with pod filters each carb is individual and it makes it almost impossible to sync the carbs. Even if you do get them synced, standing still, in a garage, once the bike is up to speed, the wind currents will throw the balance out of whack. If you want your bike to breathe better, port and polish your head or something like that. You get more bang for your buck increasing exhaust flow than intake flow anyway. BUT just so you know, this is just a Katana we are.talking about. They are bulletproof, but they just aren't that "fast" and can't be made to go much faster without HEAVY modification. It is after all, a sport touring bike. Not a true sportbike. If you really wanna perform some upgrades that you can notice a huge difference in, take the money for a power commander and get racetech fork springs and cartridge emulators for the front suspension, and get like, an R6 shock and insta that in the rear suspension and it WILL feel like a whole different bike. Kat suspensions suck balls.
          Last edited by maniac1886; 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I always tell people, lose 20 lb. on your body would likely get better power to weight ratio on the bike than most performance upgrade for the bike.

Comment

Hey Jarrett, Stage 1 factory pro with new filter in OEM airbox is the best way.
              I tried the DynoJet kit and didn't like it as much. The factory pro kit uses different jet sizes for inner and outer cylinders. I noticed a difference once i switched to factory pro. i used 130 mains in the inner and 127.5 mains on the outer cylinders. Clip a ring off your slide spring and drill an extra whole (small) in the slide near the existing one. (factory pro has this in their instructions usually.) I recommend doing this after you get the kit installed an go for a road test. Once you drill the slides, there's no going back. I had to order new slides when i did my turbo kit and they are hard to find.
              Buy a Dyna 2000 Ignition system for it, this allows you to change some settings if you want to get crazy with tuning.
              There are alot of guys on here that know their shit, just have to search the threads or ask.
              Cheers!!

Comment

OK well I been told to do any small upgrades to the bike cuz I need to get it tuned. That all started cuz I changed the exhaust out. Now I found out really fast that this bike is nothing super fast right when I got it. So I'd I can do some upgrades to get the most out of the bike that's fine with me. Cuz 60mph is still fast to me on the bike lmao..
                So I have noticed theses r popular for new riders.
                So what do guys do with these bikes anyways? Like do they make them a show bike or anything like that?

Comment

What do you mean "get it tuned"? What does that mean?

Comment

A lot of people have Katanas because they are cheap and easy to work on.
                    I dont "trick out" my bike or race it. I use it to go to and from work on nice days and also take nice drives through the country. If you want fast or good looking then you bought the wrong bike.

Comment

wha!!! The pre Kats look like a cool old school sport bike, which they were modeled after. The post .......was modeled after a bug... just made to look more touring than sport. Neither are bad looking, unless you fighter it. The Kat is a low cost sport touring bike and built as such.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ya the bike is nice I love it. I just wanted info on what could be done to it. If anything I will just learn riding it the upgrade to a gsxr. But one more question...

I noticed at 50mph or so I I let my handle bars go the bike will get a death wobble. Why is that?

Comment

Start looking at the suspension and tires. The Kat isn't prone to do that. Could be loose triple, bad steering head bearing, bad tire, warped rotor, bad wheel bearings, out of balance tire, misaligned wheels, bent frame.....
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Why are you letting go of the bars at 50 mph? Better question.

Comment

Meh....see it all the time....
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X