1995 gsx750f kat head/cam swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 gsx750f kat head/cam swap?

Hello,

Ive been fideling with the idea for a cam/head swap in my oil cooled gsx750f.

What head/cam year combination will net me the best performance?
    Do i need to swap heads or can i get away with just a cam swap?
    From what i understand i will want a 88-89 gsxr750 head&cams?
    Will swapping my head to a larger cc gsxr head decrease my compression?

Also will an oil cooled. Gsxr750 piston bore kit work with my gsx750f? I cannot seem to find bigger pistons specifically listed for the katana. Others have said that they are basically the same engine.

Ive been searching for a thread on this but i cant seem to find one for the gsx750f

Thanks
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Just install either gsxf1100, gsxr750 or gsxr1100 cams a full exhaust and a jet kit. Call it done. No head work needed unless you're going extreme. Head work is expensive. They do not make any bore kits for the Kat. Can you do it, yes. Real expensive then. Look at arsenics build. I'm sure a couple grand went into that motor.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Just install either gsxf1100, gsxr750 or gsxr1100 cams a full exhaust and a jet kit. Call it done. No head work needed unless you're going extreme. Head work is expensive. They do not make any bore kits for the Kat. Can you do it, yes. Real expensive then. Look at arsenics build. I'm sure a couple grand went into that motor.
      Im running a V&H full exhaust with a baffle delete, pods and a 130 mains right now.
      Just ignore the 10lb nitrous tank

I just like to tinker and have fun but i don't see a point in boring it if its going to be a few grand when I can buy a donor engine for >1500 that will be much more powerful stock and have more potential.

Any cam year/cc that will bring me my power band down?

I don't mind swapping heads but there would have to be a actual benifit. A good used head is >$300 and then my time to dissemble the engine to install.
      The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Ignition advancer will drop the band some. Too low and it will murder the top end.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Ignition advancer will drop the band some. Too low and it will murder the top end.
          How far into the top end? I'll never see any thing over 145mph on this bike. I was going to advance but i need to pick up a controller to retard when my nitrous is in use. I was going to advance via the katwiki tutorial by drilling the rotor plate and adding ruffly 3* and using a controller to retard by 5* only when spraying. Redundant yes, overcomplex mabey, but it should work.

Will i have a hp increase with the cam swap?
          Im cramming a lot more fuel and air than a stock engine woul have, i figured with no inlet or outlet restrictions (pods&highflow header/straight piped) i could benifit from a head that had been ported or swapped from a larger cc engine.

Please forgive my ignorance towards engines, everyone has to learn.

If a cam swap is the best option that's fine but its going to be a long cold winter in ohio and im sure i could find time to swap a head.

I've got a lot of plans for my kat, my lowering links are allready on the way and my swing arm extension is next.
          The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

What's wrong with the nitrous tank? Just means you go faster longer.....till it grenades it's self...

Hmmmm..... Well I have a custom ignition being built for my bike I wonder if it could be made to do that?? Pm GSXFJim and see what his ignition man can do for you. 145 mph on a nitrous bike....weak knee'd? I'd juice that to as fast as I can get. It's going to be a little weak on the low end but, drag bike, who cares about low end.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-18-2015, 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

There in no higher flowing head for your 750 than the pre 750 "dot" head which is the same as a gixxer 88-89 head. as big as an 1100 head.
              The only difference is the camshafts.
              They did make a 1mm oversized forged piston for that engine which would be a very good idea depending on how much nitrous you are running. Hard to find now though. Cast pistons will explode sooner or later.
              Last edited by ZookRick; 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM.
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
              V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
              Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

What's wrong with the nitrous tank? Just means you go faster longer.....till it grenades it's self...

Hmmmm..... Well I have a custom ignition being built for my bike I wonder if it could be made to do that?? Pm GSXFJim and see what his ignition man can do for you. 145 mph on a nitrous bike....weak knee'd? I'd juice that to as fast as I can get. It's going to be a little weak on the low end but, drag bike, who cares about low end.

Ill have to hit him up for my timing set up.

Im going for a drag set up but it still has to be street rideable.
                I figured ill never see anything over 130mph on a 1/4mile so I should gear as high as possible on the rear sprocket(50t)? with in street comfort. I ride it to work sometimes and i don't want to launch it in to the bus in front of me in stop and go traffic.

I need to find a shop with a dyno and see how far i can go with the nitrous. I want to make 160hp at the crank and 125hp (crank) no juice.

With all the mods i figured with my but dyno that im close to 115-118 at the crank and all that I need is a bigger head, cam and timing advance with some 93 and ill be at 125
                Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
                There in no higher flowing head for your 750 than the pre 750 "dot" head which is the same as a gixxer 88-89 head. as big as an 1100 head.
                The only difference is the camshafts.
                They did make a 1mm oversized forged piston for that engine which would be a very good idea depending on how much nitrous you are running. Hard to find now though. Cast pistons will explode sooner or later.
                Where do i find these magical pistons?
                And what cam would you recommend?
                Last edited by Tekgnome; 10-18-2015, 03:39 PM.
                The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

That 125 is damn near impossible without spending a lot of $$$$. Doesn't seem impossible but, it is difficult.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

That 125 is damn near impossible without spending a lot of $$$$. Doesn't seem impossible but, it is difficult.

No you're right, i messed up. For some reason I thought that they were 110hp stock

I estimate mine is actually closer to 110hp and I would be looking to make 115 crank after everything is modded & tuned

Fact is i can't be sure with out a dyno.

To be fair numbers don't mean to much to me, i just like having fun tinkering.
                    The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Working...
                    X