X

2000 katana 750 throttle/carb issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 katana 750 throttle/carb issue

i have a 2000 katana 750 with k&n filter, chopped yoshi pipe. i took the carbs off to clean it and put them back on. it now idles low and when i give it gas it revs up but is very slow to decelerate the rpms. help would be greatly appreciated. i set the a/f screws to stock 2.5 out when i cleaned the carbs. exhaust fumes smell rich. please give any info u have. also if anyone lives in the des moines Iowa area that would be able to help that would also be great.
    Last edited by codyj110792; 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM.

I would be surprised it it was running rich at all. Pod filters and chopped exhaust both make a lean condition and you need to bike to be heavily jetted to make up for it. Plus a hanging idle is sign of a lean mixture or vacuum leak (which you have because there is no back pressure on your carbs that the airbox SHOULD be creating.)
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Hanging idle = lean.
      If you've got K&N, + yosh, + chopped it, + pods, you're super lean. If you smell fuel its probably because you're running so lean the fuel cant all burn off.

How'd you clean the carbs?

If you happen to have the stock exhaust and airbox/filter, might be worth reinstalling them so you can waaaaaay more easily diagnose what's wrong. When that's all sorted out, maybe switch back.
      Not that I think you should, but that's my .02

Also, welcome aboard!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Vac leak, cabs weren't cleaned properly or both. Carbs 101 is what you need but, it should include soaking the stripped down carb bodies in carb dip like Barrymans carb dip, before reassembly.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Carbs 102
          He has a post kat
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Oops, correct. Although it's not that much of a difference.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
            X