X

What motor do i have?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What motor do i have?

Okay, here's the deal guys. I just bought my second katana today. It's a 1988 600. It is a salvage bike so it's a little rough. My question here is that i am wondering how i tell what engine is in it? this thing hits 60 in what i would guess is mid 3 second range and will bury the speedo past 150. This thing is nuts. So i'm guessing it'e either a worked over 600 or a 750 swap. Any help is appreciated.

Here is a pic.
    Last edited by katR1D3R; 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 - Custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, K&N drop in, Ported and Bored 53 mm Throttle Body (DD)
    90 Suzuki GSX600F Katana (Sold)
    84 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk 700S (Sold)
    88 Suzuki GSX600F Katana 750 swap (current bike)

Judging by the picture, I'd bet it's a GSXF engine, or any engine that fits in a Katana frame. Just for the record, those are not 1988 rims.

Comment

Real helpful. Is there a stamp on the block somewhere i can have a looksee?
      98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 - Custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, K&N drop in, Ported and Bored 53 mm Throttle Body (DD)

Comment

Right side where the cylinder meets the case.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It'll say 599CC or 748CC of 1127CC. It's on the left side if you're looking at the engine from the front. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. If it's not there check the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            It'll say 599CC or 748CC of 1127CC. It's on the left side if you're looking at the engine from the front. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure. If it's not there check the other side.
            I'm wrong left hand side while riding, right side while staring from the front 599cm3 748cm3 right from the front. Left while in the riding position.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-07-2015, 12:18 AM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

If it "will bury the speedo past 150" and is either a 700 or 750 then your speedo is off.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                If it "will bury the speedo past 150" and is either a 600 or 750 then your speedo is off.
                Fixed that for ya.
                As it always is...
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Fixed that for ya.
                  As it always is...
                  Thank you Guy.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

while it looks like some love went into it between the clear markers, exhaust, rims, and shield...i'm willing to bet it's still a 600 platform and you're in need of a speed healer

Comment

Originally posted by Max Vador View Post
                      while it looks like some love went into it between the clear markers, exhaust, rims, and shield...i'm willing to bet it's still a 600 platform and you're in need of a speed healer
                      ? Never seen a healer for cable driven speedometers.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        ? Never seen a healer for cable driven speedometers.
                        i'm just making a joke that his speedo is whack lol

Comment

Or not all of his Dogs are barking.lol

Comment

After further inspection i can confirm it is a 750 swap guys. 749 cm^3 stamped on the block. Also had the stock airbox removed with some aftermarket air flters wich i doubt is helping anything.

That was a quote from the previous owner by the way. My attempt today was a little over 130 and it wouldn't budge after that. Keeping in mind I am 250 lbs and he was maybe 160 wet he might have gotten it to go faster but i doubt 150. Just hyping the bike to get it sold.

Comment

If it's a 750 KAT motor, get the stock airbox/filter back in.

If it's a GSXR 750...I dunno, wait for others to chime in. A Kat motor will have the clutch cable going into the crankcase on the clutch lever side. A GSXR motor will have it going in brake lever side.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X