No announcement yet.
X

Almost constant idle screw adjustment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost constant idle screw adjustment?

So I just recently bought my first street bike, 2000 katana 750F, and when I warm it up I have to turn the idle screw up to turn the choke off without stalling.
    My question would be, is this normal? Should I let it warm up longer, I leave it either full or half choke for about 5-10 mins.

Also once I turn the idle up to un choke, lol I crawl down my street in first gear. When I get to the end, I have to turn the idle down, then I I ride a couple miles, stop at a light, and have to lower the idle again. But it seems like once I've been riding for like 10 miles I won't have to adjust it really.
    the screw isn't loose, it's semi hard to turn.
    Last edited by 750F_Kat; 06-30-2015, 06:13 PM.

Originally posted by 750F_Kat View Post
    So I just recently bought my first street bike, 2000 katana 750F, and when I warm it up I have to turn the idle screw up to turn the choke off without stalling.
    My question would be, is this normal? Should I let it warm up longer, I leave it either full or half choke for about 5-10 mins.

Also once I turn the idle up to un choke, lol I crawl down my street in first gear. When I get to the end, I have to turn the idle down, then I I ride a couple miles, stop at a light, and have to lower the idle again. But it seems like once I've been riding for like 10 miles I won't have to adjust it really.
    the screw isn't loose, it's semi hard to turn.
    You should not have to go full choke for more than 10 seconds, and half choke for more than a couple of minutes prior to riding. Good sign of an overly rich mixture setting is not needing the choke for start-up. However, the term "choke" would be a misnomer on these Mikuni carbs (if that is what the 750's have stock). It's an enrichener. Thus, not needing any throttle upon starting. Sounds like your sync is off, along with possibly dirty carbs (pilot circuit). I'd break those carbs down and triple clean them, and investigate for a break-down in any of the parts. Not sure if your carbs have butterfly shaft seals or not. I'm more experienced in rebuilding the older Mikuni BS34 series carbs, which were used throughout many bike lines.
    '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Sounds like you're just learning how to operate a motorcycle, and you bought the long to warm up 750 Katana.
      Your doing it the wrong way.
      It's got a lot of oil in the sump so that takes some minutes to heat up, depending on how warm the weather is.

Hold down maximum choke at start up until the idle goes way up to 4000, then relax it down to 3000, then relax it down again until it can hold an idle without stalling. (Takes my '90 750 like 2 minutes at 70 degrees). Then you can get started riding with a bit of choke for another minute, then choke off.
      You'll have to learn what the bike likes in relation to the weather.
      You set the idle after you've been riding for at least half an hour, and leave it there mostly permanently.
      With a hot engine set idle at 1200 to 1500 rpm.
      You'll have to adjust it a bit with the weather, and if it slips down from engine vibration, mine does that and quite a bit.

I have a 82 GS1100G that hasn't needed an idle adjustment in years, go figure it's my favorite road bike.
      Last edited by buffalobill; 07-01-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
        Sounds like you're just learning how to operate a motorcycle, and you bought the long to warm up 750 Katana.
        Your doing it the wrong way.
        It's got a lot of oil in the sump so that takes some minutes to heat up, depending on how warm the weather is.

Hold down maximum choke at start up until the idle goes way up to 4000, then relax it down to 3000, then relax it down again until it can hold an idle without stalling. (Takes my '90 750 like 2 minutes at 70 degrees). Then you can get started riding with a bit of choke for another minute, then choke off.
        You'll have to learn what the bike likes in relation to the weather.
        You set the idle after you've been riding for at least half an hour, and leave it there mostly permanently.
        With a hot engine set idle at 1200 to 1500 rpm.
        You'll have to adjust it a bit with the weather, and if it slips down from engine vibration, mine does that and quite a bit.

I have a 82 GS1100G that hasn't needed an idle adjustment in years, go figure it's my favorite road bike.
        All good advice. Only thing I can alter is the idle recommendation: 1200 rpm should be the max. There is no road bike needing or having an idle set @ 1500 rpm. That would put serious stress on the gears upon placing the transmission in 1st from Neutral. 1000 rpm-1200 rpm should be the parameters.
        '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Having an eradic idle can also be caused be a vacuum leak.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Longer warm up, carbs getting clogged up, carbs need synced. Would be were I would start at.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thank you guys for all of the awesome replies on here!
              I just recently ran some seafoam through the gas and that helped keep my idle steady.
              but reading what buffalobill said, its making more sense now. my bike will start just fine fully choked, then it rolls up the rpms to 4000 and then I knock it down to half, and that's when I would normally mess with the idle but now ill just drop the choke down to maybe 1/4 on and start to ride, then ill turn off the choke and see how she's doing.
              again, thank you very much for all the katriders love!
              I will update soon and let you know what comes of my new knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                All good advice. Only thing I can alter is the idle recommendation: 1200 rpm should be the max. There is no road bike needing or having an idle set @ 1500 rpm. That would put serious stress on the gears upon placing the transmission in 1st from Neutral. 1000 rpm-1200 rpm should be the parameters.

When I started my bike per Buffalobill's instructions, I rode for about an hour and adjusted the idle and it was idling at about 1000rpms and it seemed to be doing well.
                I think I will still get the carbs done though for sure.
                Thanks again guys!

Comment

Glad to hear its running good for you and I really hope you're liking the bike I I am also new to not only the katana but riding in general and I will say that of all the internet I have looked on the people right here on this forum have helped me the most by far.
                  A good group of people here.

Comment

Originally posted by magman View Post
                    Glad to hear its running good for you and I really hope you're liking the bike I I am also new to not only the katana but riding in general and I will say that of all the internet I have looked on the people right here on this forum have helped me the most by far.
                    +1
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by magman View Post
                      absolutely, I could not agree more with that! cant wait to help some other people if I can and contribute to this community

Comment

Originally posted by 750F_Kat View Post
                        absolutely, I could not agree more with that! cant wait to help some other people if I can and contribute to this community
                        That's the spirit brother and remember don't trust anything arsenic says about carb he is only the best lol but for real tons of good info here.

Comment

Having the same problem with my 92 600 katana To the point where it just stalls while riding. Trying to decide whether to have carbs redone or would syncing the carbs do the trick

Comment

Working...
                          X