X

Should I Buy This Katana??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Buy This Katana??

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and joined because I am hoping to be the proud owner of a katana here soon. Basically I'm looking for input on whether or not you guys/girls think the bike I'm looking at is worth it. My buddy is selling a:

1990 GSX600F for $400! with 22,000 miles on it

Pros: new front & rear lights, new mirrors, rebuilt/cleaned carbs, tires & brakes are good, new starter

Cons: one of the carbs leaks gas, spray painted black, tank and fairings are off, may need some electrical work

I've known my friend for years and trust him, so I have no reason to think the deal is too good to be true or anything. He just has another bike and no room for this one. I'm on the fence with this decision because while I am mechanically inclined, I do not have a ton of time or money. I've heard this model is reputable for being reliable and easy to work on, but don't want to get in over my head. Any help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by norest92; 06-01-2015, 10:30 PM.

For $400 bucks, it's a good deal. Just a note "rebuilt/cleaned" carbs don't leak gas... just sayin' That will be your first repair, actually fixing the carbs.

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1. Fix the carbs and it'll run. it might be ugly, but it'll run.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Got mine for $300 initial cost knowing, thanks to this forum, that it needed a new side stand switch and, amazingly enough, the carbs that had been "professionally" cleaned less than six months previously would need cleaning again. Properly.

Do your research on here and KNOW what you are buying.

Comment

Working...
          X