X

Project almost complete, a few issues to tackle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project almost complete, a few issues to tackle

Opening a new thread other than my build thread to ask a few questions and hope for some suggestions.

1) Petcock issue: From day 1, I thought my petcock was messed up. I took it apart, messed with it, rebuilt it (without new parts), and finally leak tested it. Still sucked. Then it hit me, I've been missing the O-ring to seal the passage this entire time. It must have been gone since I got the bike, since it never worked correctly. Now my question is, should I just go get a single O-ring and have it work, or should I spend the $25 and get a new ebay gasket kit as well while I'm at it. Also, I think I bent the little copper ring piece inside the rotating section when taking it apart, seems to work fine now though.

2) Ignition coil wire clips broken! After some searching, it seems like these little clips are impossible to find. I've put new spark plug wires on, secured them to the plug connector side, but need a good way to secure them to the ignition coils now. Is there a place that sells these little clips that anyone has found, or what's the best suggestion on holding them in place?

3) Fork seal leaking now, RIP. Not sure what happened here or if the oil before was just so low that it wouldn't leak anymore. I drained the tubes and added new oil, then found that the left side had a slow, steady leak. I'll have to replace this sooner than later, but just really want to get her running first. I wrapped a rag around the joint to stop dripping for the time being.

4) Testing before putting the tank on. I'd really like to make sure she runs before putting the tank back on and repairing the fuel cock. Thinking of using a small water bottle to hold some gas and fill the carbs up. I'll probably look at getting some new fuel line as well since the current ones are getting old. Is there a better way to do this?

4) set your tank on something sturdy so it cannot fall off, connect a fuel line long enough to reach your bike and put it on prime. You may have to plug the vac line that normally goes to your petcock.

As far as the fork seals, do both forks. I thought I would save myself some time and only changed the leaking one. Two weeks later the other one started leaking. Take it apart once and do both fork legs.
    Last edited by cool4kats; 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I'll be waiting on my petcock rebuild kit before I can use the tank as my gas holder, otherwise it just pours out. I just wanted to set something up quickly to make sure I can start it up and balance the carbs if needed.

Comment

I use an old lawnmower gas tank. Pretty much anything you can put a fuel hose on although it's nice if you have a way to stop the fuel flow.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Good idea with the lawn mower tank, I'll see if I can find something similar since I don't feel like tearing my mower apart again this year.

Does anyone have any ideas on the spark plug wire clips? Also, I may need to replace the wires again. Looks like the kind I used does not have the copper core. I had some leftover Duralast Double Silicone wire from last project, so I blindly used that. Seems like it will work, but not be as good of a spark possibly? Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
          X