X

Bike won't start fuel all over

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike won't start fuel all over

Hello everyone !----- katana 750 2003-----I did try to get my bike start and I found fuel all over and my fuel gauge reading empty tank( was full with fuel treatment ) It did crank and fuel was all over muffler like a shower. Tank valve was on pri , not on or reserve. I did remove spark plugs and fuel came off cylinders head removed fuel from cylinder by cranking engine with plugs off, replaced plugs and I do have new oil waiting to be change. ========what position should fuel tank valve be when sitting for winter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jerry; 03-15-2015, 10:39 PM.
    LET'S GO AND RIDE

If your carbs were clean, any. Shouldn't matter. Time for a carb clean and rebuild. You had the problem before you stored it. Just to be safe in the future, drain the carb bowls and set the petcock to ON for storage.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

carbs are clean . do I should rebuild anyway? thanks for the info. I will do for now on. during summer and not been use what position should I leave petcock.
      LET'S GO AND RIDE

Comment

ON = normal position

RES = low on fuel position

PRI = only when you want to prime the carbs. I.E. after running completely out of fuel or after doing carb work.

Comment

check the float needles, float height, the carbs aren't sealing fuel off properly. Test the carb set before you reinstall them.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by jerry View Post
            carbs are clean
            No, they aren't. Something caused one or more of the float needles to not seat. Have to get that situation cleaned up and repaired so this wont happen again.

Comment

Time for an oil change too, cuz its full of gas now...
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                Time for an oil change too, cuz its full of gas now...
                +1

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

At what point can you tell that you have gas in your oil? My bike sat all winter (with the petcock in the proper position), and when I primed them today, gas leaked out of the bottom of the carbs. I know they need a rebuild, but how likely is it that gas has entered the oil? It's only a half mile to the bike shop to get the carbs rebuilt and vacuum sync'd by a guy who does motorcycle drag racing. Will it be safe enough to ride it there, or do I need to change the oil first?
                  Tempus fugit. Frater, memento mori.

Comment

Well if you don"t want to dump the oil than just have it towed over or
                    throw it in the back of a truck, how much does 4 or 5 quarts of dino oil cost
                    if you want to ride it over there ?

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                      Well if you don"t want to dump the oil than just have it towed over or
                      throw it in the back of a truck, how much does 4 or 5 quarts of dino oil cost
                      if you want to ride it over there ?
                      Getting it in the back of my truck could be an issue since I have a 4X4 and it's pretty high, plus the bed is too short.

I can change the oil, but I did so just last summer and then didn't get to ride much at all (less than a hundred miles?), so if there's no gas in it, then there really is no need to, is there?

Even with fuel dripping out of the bowls, would it be safe to ride there? The engine won't even get hot in a half mile.

Comment

Originally posted by loonybin View Post
                        Even with fuel dripping out of the bowls, would it be safe to ride there? The engine won't even get hot in a half mile.
                        I'll just say this: If you are really set on riding it over please, for safety, have a friend running alongside with two things, a fire extinguisher and a GoPro recording. Post the results...

Seriously, you would ride a bike that is dripping fuel all over the engine, electrics (starter anyone?) and exhaust? If it's only half a mile then push it if you need to.

Comment

Just a thought!
                          Do you not have mobile motorcycle mechanics over your side of the pond?
                          Seems to me there is a definite opening/opportunity, for someone to set themselves up and make a nice living.
                          I used one a month or so ago and it was very helpful.
                          Alternatively, I would definitely push it half a mile rather than risk riding it in that condition.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                            I'll just say this: If you are really set on riding it over please, for safety, have a friend running alongside with two things, a fire extinguisher and a GoPro recording. Post the results...
                            Well, I was hoping to one-up Evil Kinevil by racing down the street with flames shooting out 6ft behind me, but you've just squashed that dream...

Seriously, you would ride a bike that is dripping fuel all over the engine, electrics (starter anyone?) and exhaust? If it's only half a mile then push it if you need to.
                            That's why I asked first instead of just trying it (assuming that I can even get it running). It's such a slow drip that I didn't know if it would be an issue since it takes a few minutes to even start dripping. I figured I might be able to make it there before it overflows the bowls and starts dripping, but yeah, not worth the risk. I do value my uber-sexy legs. Hopefully I can find a trailer to borrow.

Comment

Working...
                            X