Bike does not start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike does not start

Hi All,

After not riding or starting my bike for over 2 months, I tried to start it again but it won't work. The battery was fairly new before I left it sitting there. when I turn it on and tried to start it, the light wouldn't turn on not does the engine want to turn. When I tried to have the battery jumper cables hooked, the light turns on but the engine doesnt turn. When i unhook the jumper cable, nothing works at all. Is this because my alternator is messed up or I would need a new battery.

Please let me know asap because I have checked out a SV650 and will pay 3700 for it for great condition, this weekend. I was thinking if it only costs under 1k to fix it in terms of tools and services, I would spend it to get it fixed and not get the SV650. Please let me know. By the way, it's a 2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Sitting for 2 months.... Likely a bad battery n dirty carbs...
    Last edited by maniac1886; 03-09-2015, 09:54 PM.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

+1. Check the fluid levels, put it on a charger. See how it goes....new battery most likely needed. It will probably run like crap due to dirty carbs. KAT carbs don't like to sit with fuel in them for extended time.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

the carbs and battery is def a big part of the problem, but it also helps to close the air filter entrance with a rag so it limits the amount of air in the carbs.

dont try for too long so u dont blow ur starter solenoid.

Comment

Originally posted by ruda_rj View Post
          the carbs and battery is def a big part of the problem, but it also helps to close the air filter entrance with a rag so it limits the amount of air in the carbs.

dont try for too long so u dont blow ur starter solenoid.

Thus attempting to compensate for dirty carbs...

Clean your carbs, slap a new battery in (or have the old one checked and charged), get a battery tender and ride it. These bikes don't like to sit.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thank you for the responses, but my battery was fairly new. Before letting it sit, I bought a new battery about 5 months prior to sitting it for 2-3 months. I know I wanted to do a carb clean soon too but I would need it to start first. Do you guys think that it's even the alternator or just the battery? As I did use the jumper cable to have the lights turn on but the engine doesn't turn, and once it was off, nothing was on. I was also thinking about replacing the Spark plugs.

Comment

agreed ....
              i take back what i said, just take ur carb apart and clean it.
              theres a post here that gives u all the steps for cleaning ur carbs.
              have done this on 4 katanas .... im new here but since they helped me a lot with my bike i wanna help others.

let us know how it is going.
              ps.: dont just buy a carb cleaner or those products out there, they dont really clean ur carb

Comment

Well first of all if you have no lights that means you have no power. Try charging battery or give it a jump to get power to ignition switch which powers up bike. If bike has power and there is no engine crank then you have a starting circuit problem. Such as start switch, starter solenoid, starter motor, kick stand switch, neutral switch or even simple thing as a fuse. Does the neutral light come on?

Comment

Hey All-

Thanks you for the responses. I actually replaced my battery and supposedly my "new" battery, so I thought, did not have any power, about 5v. I bought a new battery and the light works now and the engine is starting to turn. After 15-20 minutes, the exhaust sounded like it would start and also it started for about 2 seconds, but that is all. What else could be wrong? I was going to buy new spark plugs this weekend but will that even help it start? I have checked the fuse already and everything is good. Any other suggestions?

Comment

See post #3
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

yep. Just like post #2. That was a 2 part solution...
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

And post #5
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

A regular lead acid battery will die from sitting for that amount of time. Your carbs will also clog in said time frame. The ethanol in gas is what does it. As the gas evaporates away, it'll leave a nice shitty varnish that clogs things up real fast.
                          So
                          Since you have a new battery, if you don't ride regularly, spend the $30 for a cheap battery tender so it won't die again. And time to clean those carbs.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

My Ninja 250 has sat outdoors under a tarp since early OCT 2014, tank was filled to the top before parked, battery pulled to store indoors.
                            Today was the first day above 50 degrees F, I put the battery in, cranked started for less than 15 sec, engine came to life, idled with choke on for 2 mins while I put tankbag on and helmet on.. Off I went for a 20 miles ride.
                            Ethanol sat in tank since OCT, if tank is pretty full, Ethanol stays pretty stable.

Comment

The tank isnt the problem. theres enough space and surface area to be ok not to mention a filter. The problem is letting carbs sit full of fuel. the gas evaporates out of the teensy weensy little pilot circuits. It doesnt take much evaporation to leave a glob of ethanol gel in there, especially in humid conditions and once gas starts flowing, it moves, just like a blood clot in your body, until it hits a spot that it cant pass thru ie: pilot jet. Then, either way, the bike or the brain. Your fucked.
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X