X

Air Box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Box

I would like to eliminate my air box as it makes working on my Kat a pain (I would like to eliminate the fairings for the same reason), but I don't want to make it run worse (I know all about jetting and using pods with CV carbs). I was wondering if the following K&N setup would be a good compromise as two carburetors share a filter, making it a kind of air box:

K&N RU-2922

Has anyone tried this? Not looking to increase performance, just trying to make a sport-tourer more UJM-like in terms of maintenance and accessibility.

You will not find the improvements you are seeking by doing this. Only tuning headaches. (Been there. Done that.)

Comment

I think a lot have been down that road, not good. As for the fairing, really? Once you get it running correctly, you'll very rarely have to remove them.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Figured as much. My problem is I rescued this bike from a couple of kids who should not have owned a bike so things keep popping up. I think I might have a leak between the intake manifolds and the head. I dread taking everything apart, even once.

Comment

Leave them off till you get it all figured out.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Once you get used to taking the fairings off, they come off pretty quick. My suggestion, leave them off for a riding season, once you get it runnin good, put them back on. Naked Kats are fugly. Thats my persoanl opinion AND the general concensus around here. As for the K&N, they are the devil. no matter what you do, it will still just be the devil in disguise. Clean the carbs correctly, replace all the rubber lines under the air box, and all the rubber parts in the carbs, and get new header boot orings and call it good. If you do that, there will be nothing left under the airbox that needs works and you wont have to worry about pulling it off again. Ask me how I know....
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The biggest pain with the fairings are the mirrors and that the holes at the bottom are cracked. Not difficult, just a pain. I don't want to have too much down time either as the Kat is my commuter bike in the nice weather. I could press my CB400T into service, but can't really take it on I80 to get around traffic jams in the Stroudsburg PA area. I can, but don't want to. He Kat makes the perfect commuter bike. I have toyed with making my own half fairing.
              Last edited by TripleKing; 02-22-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I have had more trouble with the dual pods than I have had with the singles. A little Ninja 250 with those two carbs into one pod drove me nuts. It does make it easy to pull carbs down and I run them on a couple bikes, KZ's a such without any trouble.

I am leaving air box on my kat, it runs better and you don't have to play with the carbs to get it right.

Comment

good choice
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

if you eliminate your air box then it will effect on your bike

Comment

Originally posted by john3322 View Post
                      if you eliminate your air box then it will effect on your bike
                      If you let the air out of your tires it will effect your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        If you let the air out of your tires it will effect your bike.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                        X