X

Fuel leaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernie View Post
    Carbman, just looked at your garage and I think you may have your wires crossed....you have a pre, so therefore it is the correct petcock and it should also only have 1 throttle cable so it might have the right carbs on it aswell.

Thanks for that ernie. I'm learning all the time.
    This morning, when I came down and went to the forum, I went straight to page 2 of the thread and obviously thought that 'cool4kats' was talking about my bike, but when I looked back, someone else had come in and put posts on.
    Must admit I have been confused with this 'pre' and 'post' stuff.
    Maybe I wasn't duped like I thought I was.
    Thanks everyone for your comments and help. Will let you know how things turn out.

Comment

Pre = '89-97
      Post = 98-06
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Pre = '89-97
        Post = 98-06
        Pre-1 headlight and 1 throttle cable?
        Post-2 headlights and 2 '' ?
        Any other distinguishing features?

Comment

Pre 600 swingarm is also shorter.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

The pre motor is black and the post motor is grey/silver
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I sometimes wondered why my engine was black and most others were grey. Was beginning to think that it had been changed sometime.
              Thanks for that.

Just rescued my petrol tap parts from their soaking in 'white vinegar'. This was their condition after 16 hours immersed.
              Last edited by carbman; 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM. Reason: More info.

Comment

Sorry, forgot the pictures.
                Attached Files

Comment

The thin gasket doesn't look real happy. Did that get soaked too?
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Sorry carbman, your post about the petcock leaking made me ask about what was up with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ernie View Post
                      Carbman, just looked at your garage and I think you may have your wires crossed....you have a pre, so therefore it is the correct petcock and it should also only have 1 throttle cable so it might have the right carbs on it aswell.
                      Cool4kats has the post with the pre petcock. This is why WE DONT HIJACK someone's thread folks. Crossed posts.
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-12-2015, 09:18 PM.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No harm done 'cool4kats'.
                        shpielers...time to eat humble pie. Put the whole thing back together this morning but as soon as I turned the tank right way up it started leaking.
                        Repair kit is ordered and winging its' way here, even as we speak.
                        Will update further when it is fitted and working correctly.
                        Thanks everyone.

Comment

If you haven't, now might be a good time to take a peek at the inside of the tank and see if there is any rust starting to form or debris that needs cleaning out.

Also - make sure to test for proper functioning once you get the petcock back together BEFORE you reinstall everything. I had the teeny spring inside installed wrong once. Didn't find that out till the tank was all installed and hooked up and the fairings back on.
                          I'd recommend turning the petcock to the different positions, and also hooking up a tube and applying vac at each. Make sure it does/nt flow as is appropriate for the setting.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                            If you haven't, now might be a good time to take a peek at the inside of the tank and see if there is any rust starting to form or debris that needs cleaning out.

Also - make sure to test for proper functioning once you get the petcock back together BEFORE you reinstall everything. I had the teeny spring inside installed wrong once. Didn't find that out till the tank was all installed and hooked up and the fairings back on.
                            I'd recommend turning the petcock to the different positions, and also hooking up a tube and applying vac at each. Make sure it does/nt flow as is appropriate for the setting.

shpielers, I cleaned the tank out last year with my favourite product 'white vinegar'. Cheap and efficient.
                            At this point I need to be clear on something. When I have fitted all the new parts to the petrol tap and it's fitted to the tank, when I turn the tank the right way up, should there be no petrol at all leaking out?
                            How can that tiny spring be installed wrong?
                            How would I apply a 'vac'?
                            Cheers.

Comment

No fuel if on res or run. If the spring exerts pressure on the diaphragm you will loose the seal. You can use a long piece of hose and suck on it. (Sounds weird but, it is what it is) or a hand held vac tool. When you rebuilt it, did you clean the seat for the O-ring on the diaphragm where it seals to the petcock body?
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Not quite sure what 'O' ring you are talking about junker, but I am waiting for a new repair kit to arrive, so will pay attention to cleaning everything as I re-assemble everything.
                                Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                                X