X

Legal Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Question

Hey guys, so I know this is definitely a state specific question, but if I could get your opinions that'd be awesome.

So I live in Massachusetts (currently under 35" of snow) which has pretty strict registration regulations. One law is that if you want to register a bike from massachusetts you are required to have the title. If you are buying a bike from a state that doesn't require a title for registration, you only need a bill of sale and previous registration.

So here's my situation: I bought a bike from Connecticut, a state which does not require a title. Under Mass. law I can register it with only a prev. reg. and bill of sale. The guy I bought it from was unable to find his Connecticut registration (said he was going through a divorce, paperwork was a mess). However, he was able to give me a bill of sale, as well as the previous registration from the guy he bought the bike from. He bought the bike from New Hampshire (which falls under the same law as Ct. as no title is necessary to register)

My question is would I be able to register the bike with the bill of sale and the previous registration even though it is not the most recent registration?Or would the RMV tell me that I need the most recent reg from the guy actually selling me the bike.

Sorry if this was confusing or unclear lol, and I am planning to call the rmv as soon as the state of emergency is over so any opinions today would be greatly appreciated!
    93 Katana 600
    98 ZX6

I would definitely contact RMV, my thought is, if you are required to have a title. Your going to have to do some research to get one. As with the registration and bill of sale info, all they are going is matching the owner with the bill of sale, it should work, unless they want to be specific.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Mass does bonded titles...

So worst case... $100 extra for the bond and your set

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well there's your research, done.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Glad to know that's an option, however....Massachusetts will issue a standard title to a vehicle coming from a state in which titles are not required, as long as a bill of sale and previous registration is provided. My dilemma is that I have a bill of sale and a registration but the registration is from two owners ago. Do you think the fact that the registration I have isn't the most recent registration will be an issue? Because I'd like to avoid the process of a bonded title as going to the RMV with a prev. registration and bill of sale is the equivalent of going to the rmv with a title. Having a standard clean title would definitely be an asset in the future for possible resale value.
          93 Katana 600
          98 ZX6

Comment

That's going to cause an issue. Can you have the op get a duplicate from his registrar?
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I have looked into that, $20 bucks for a duplicate registration from Connecticut. The only annoyance with that is getting the guy to agree and the fact that he's about three hours away means using the mail more than likely. It just seems like a headache. Buttttttt, that probably is the route I'll end up taking, just wanted to see if I could squeeze through the system with what I had already
              93 Katana 600
              98 ZX6

Comment

Lol, nobody squeezes through the government Bureaucracy trap.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I would recommend that you go to the local DMV and ask them, I know when I lived in NH all we needed was the bill of sale. Worst case they tell you need more and you will know exactly what you will need.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I'm looking for a replacement bike for the one that went missing in the middle of the night. There are a lot of good deal out there with "no title, bill of sale". and "you can get a bonded title", and other nonsense. I'm passing on all those. Clean blue title or nothing for me. I don't want the hassle your going through right now.
                    --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
                    --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
                      I'm looking for a replacement bike for the one that went missing in the middle of the night. There are a lot of good deal out there with "no title, bill of sale". and "you can get a bonded title", and other nonsense. I'm passing on all those. Clean blue title or nothing for me. I don't want the hassle your going through right now.

I've gotten some really sweet deals cause of that. No one wants to mess with it.

Can't beat bikes delivered to my door for me for $200. :P

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
                        Usually I'm exactly the same. Stay wayyyy clear of anything that doesn't have a title, especially because massachusetts sucks. I got this bike for really cheap though so I decided to take a little leap of faith. The seller seemed like a pretty cool guy who would be willing to work with me so I have a feeling everything will work out
                        93 Katana 600
                        98 ZX6

Comment

Not sure how things work down there, but kindly send some of that snow back up this way.
                          2002 750 Kat
                          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                            Not sure how things work down there, but kindly send some of that snow back up this way.
                            The city I live in got hit the hardest with 35 inches and more coming this weekend...feel free to come take it away!!!
                            93 Katana 600
                            98 ZX6

Comment

Working...
                            X