X

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Buy or Not to Buy?

I found a 97 Katana. The bike with the parts itself has no title but it comes with a frame with a title. So I would need to transfer everything over to the other frame. It was his project and he has a lot torn apart. Here is the link:

What do you guys think?

Jacob

Originally posted by jlang95 View Post
    I found a 97 Katana. The bike with the parts itself has no title but it comes with a frame with a title. So I would need to transfer everything over to the other frame. It was his project and he has a lot torn apart. Here is the link:

What do you guys think?

Jacob

I think even if he has everything he says he has, in the condition he says it is (I'd bet it's not...) then your still going to invest $1k-1500 in getting a completed bike worth... $1200.

Unless you want a project, and you have the ability and access to cheap parts to take on a major project. Then you might have a different outcome. I could probably clean it up and put it on the road for around $500.... and still only have a $1200 bike. Not really a savings even then.

If it's your first bike/looking for a bike to ride option... I'd suggest you buy a bike that's together and running decently to start with. Even then your generally gonna invest $500 pretty quickly.

There is a lot that isn't shown, but what I can see is a whole lot of issues...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

...that is the question. Whether it is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of great fortune...

Forgive me. I taught Shakespeare for three and a half decades. I simply could not help myself.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

It has definitely slid down the road. Look at the bottom side cover (starter cover) in the second pic. The WHOLE bottom is ground off to bare metal. Also take into consideration the old steal n switch tactic. Acquire a stolen bike, buy legit frame, swap. That sends off alarms in my mind and I would want to run the Vin on the untitled bike to make sure your not buying stolen property.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

If you're buying it to part out, offer 350-400. If you'd be buying it to fix it up...I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. Not worth it, and will likely be expensive. And a LOT of work. If you really need a hobby, I can think of worse, but that wouldn't be an easy build.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The same guy has another bike that is running. It's another Katana that he turned into a street fighter type bike. He said he recovered the seat and wired u turn signals and the taillight. He said he'd sell it for $700.

Comment

I would run the vin (s) first. If ok, I couldn't stop myself from loading it up, if complete the cost will be time and normal maintenance items; oil, brakes, chain/sprocket, fork oil, tires and carb rebuild parts. Which should be done when you aquire a used bike anyway. your looking at an additional $1000 right there depending on the brands and quality you choose.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I would shop around for a complete bike . They are out there, any katana you find regardless of cc you'll have to put at least a grand into it to make it road worthy .Tires brakes carb work & this is doing it
                ( the work ) yourself. Don't panic you'll find one!!!

Comment

My thoughts on a streetfighter...

Does the work look profession and make the bike look awesome?

Or does the work look like someone turned a 2 year old loose with spray paint and a hacksaw?

If it's the last option... run... run very far away.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X