X

I am passed my skill level in diagnosing my issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am passed my skill level in diagnosing my issue

I have had my 91 kat 600 for 4 years and over that time the longest time my bike sat unused was for 2 months this summer and I am now preping it for commuting this winter. The bike was running well before it was put away but taking it back out this month it has lost most of its power. I have little to no throttle response even though it idles well. It will bog down when I throttle it and I can not get out of my own way.

I started by checking the gas by replacing it. I then checked the air filter as well as checking that nothing had made a home inside my intake box. Then I checked all of the hoses for fuel and vacuum lines. I even removed the petcock and checked the screen filter inside. Everything is back together but I still have the problem my only guess wold be the jets. Any other ideas? I'm not skilled enough to work on the carbs so any idea what I may be paying to have the jets replaced or diagnose the problem?

You have a dirty pilot circuit. Replacing the pilot jets won't solve the issue as the passages within the carb bodies are probably dirty. A "mechanic" will charge you an arm and a leg to do next to nothing. So, you'll end up paying a lot and nothing will get fixed. Make sure you get dinner first.

Comment

First, I agree with arsenic. Your carbs are varnished up, yes your bike ran well before but, varnish was already building up, moving fuel kept the passages open, one it had the time to sit the varnish built to the point of restricting passages. You need those carbs cleaned. The average cost a dealer will charge you to damn near do nothing is $400, not including parts. Arsenic does sell remanufactured carbs, they go beyond rebuilt, they look and run like new, I bought 2 set already. Your choices are try to do it yourself, pay the dealer then try to do it over yourself or buy a set from arsenic and call it done.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Well it needs to be done so I guess I would be interested in a rebuilt set. So just talk direct to arsenic?

Comment

Yes, just pm him he'll set you up.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Indeed. I have a set that I just ordered the parts for, they haven't been shipped yet. The set has stock jetting. It will be done as soon as I get the parts. Here's the kicker. Anytime someone on this forum buys a set of rebuilt carbs, I offer them $50 if they send me their old set as a core. These lazy bastards follow through with that like 1% of the time. That happened recently and I specifically told the buyer that I was depending on that. He assured me he'd send them. Well he "says" he sent them over a week ago. Funny they got from me to him in two days. Apparently it takes over a week to get from him to me. I know going to the post office is a extremely difficult task. So, long story short, the parts I was depending on, I need to finish that set. So if you send me your set, I can take the parts I need off your set, and finish the rebuilt set for you. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Yes, just pm him he'll set you up.
              Already o/h ones or does he do the ones on the bike already.

Comment

So, reading comprehension isn't your forte? Just messing with you man. 99.9% of the time, it's a set already rebuilt. I very rarely rebulid your carburetors and send them back. Even if I do agree to rebuild your carbs for you because I don't have a set. Again, the lazy bastards here can't manage the brutal trip to the post office to send them to me. The laziness of this forum is the only thing that rivals the cheapness. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
                Last edited by arsenic; 10-07-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  So, reading comprehension isn't your forte? Just messing with you man. 99.9% of the time, it's a set already rebuilt. I very rarely rebulid your carburetors and send them back. Even if I do agree to rebuild your carbs for you because I don't have a set. Again, the lazy bastards here can't manage the brutal trip to the post office to send them to me. The laziness of this forum is the only thing that rivals the cheapness. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
                  Any discount even minor for sending you the old ones on my bike or am I better off throwing them on ebay saying they are not working or are good for parts?

Unrelated... but another question that's not worth a new thread. I have an inch of sludge built up around my front sprocket and the surrounding area. What is the best way to clean it or am I just stuck with a grunge brush and some degreaser? I'm a bicycle mechanic and its faux pa to use a powerwasher but damn it would really help here lol.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Get some degreaser and get to cleaning.
                    As for your carbs. If you want a rebuilt set buy them from Arsenic and sind him yours. Carbs for the pre98's are hard to come by and so if we keep rotating them out with and he rebuilds them then we are helping out other kat owners.

Food for thought o as well. Get a bottle of the marine grade stabil and put that in your tank. You only need the amount it calls for per gallon anyway. I run this in my bike and have zero problems if it sits for extended period of time. Only use the Red stabil if you are storing it for winter.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
                      Any discount even minor for sending you the old ones on my bike or am I better off throwing them on ebay saying they are not working or are good for parts?
                      Read post #6. I NEED your old set to finish the rebuilt set for you.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Read post #6. I NEED your old set to finish the rebuilt set for you.
                        Sorry I was using my phone when I was responding and missed that post because I Was looking at the reply to my quote. Thank you for your understanding of me not paying attention. I will be speaking with you soon just have to change my budget. My Kat will take precedence, I guess the tig welding machine can wait.

Comment

I just got an email that the parts have shipped.

Comment

Working...
                          X