Basic gas tank questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic gas tank questions

91 kat 600
    What are the two hose connections in the middle of the tank? And is this petcock worthy of a replacement even though it still works?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by .408cheytac; 10-04-2014, 02:22 AM.

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
    91 kat 600
    What are the two hose connections in the middle of the tank? And is this petcock worthy of a replacement even though it still works?

That tank is from a CA emissions model bike, equipped with what is called the PAIR or 2nd Air system. The tank capacity is slightly smaller than normal tanks reduced to aprox 4.8 gallons or so vs like 5.2 gallons on a normal tank. Those numbers are close but I'm recalling from memory atm and don't feel it's important enough to spend an hour researching the exact numbers. :P You can if you want.

As for the ports...

The short one is the over flow drain from up top. The small hole under the gas cap, beside the fill hole... that's the other end of it. If water gets under the cap or if you over flow the filling of the tank, it will drain out that line as the tube runs down all the way through the tank and out the bottom. If it's a used tank, be sure to test that tube is not rusted out and has a hole in it inside the tank, or you will have leaking and water in the fuel issues.

The longer curved one is a vacuum port to the CA emissions fumes collector inside the tank. This device inside the tank is why the CA model holds less fuel. Normally it would run down to a charcoal canister located on the back left side under the tail fairing. It's meant to capture the fumes and filter them out before being vented to the atmosphere.

Run a drain line to the bottom of the bike, left open for the short one.

You can just cap the longer curved one if you wanted, or also run a hose to the bottom of the bike. Just be aware that on hot days pressure can build up inside the tank if the vent is not working right, and that would push fuel out that sensor line. Again though, that would only happen if the tank vent in the gas cap was stopped up or not working for some reason.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      That tank is from a CA emissions model bike, equipped with what is called the PAIR or 2nd Air system. The tank capacity is slightly smaller than normal tanks reduced to aprox 4.8 gallons or so vs like 5.2 gallons on a normal tank. Those numbers are close but I'm recalling from memory atm and don't feel it's important enough to spend an hour researching the exact numbers. :P You can if you want.

As for the ports...

The short one is the over flow drain from up top. The small hole under the gas cap, beside the fill hole... that's the other end of it. If water gets under the cap or if you over flow the filling of the tank, it will drain out that line as the tube runs down all the way through the tank and out the bottom. If it's a used tank, be sure to test that tube is not rusted out and has a hole in it inside the tank, or you will have leaking and water in the fuel issues.

The longer curved one is a vacuum port to the CA emissions fumes collector inside the tank. This device inside the tank is why the CA model holds less fuel. Normally it would run down to a charcoal canister located on the back left side under the tail fairing. It's meant to capture the fumes and filter them out before being vented to the atmosphere.

Run a drain line to the bottom of the bike, left open for the short one.

You can just cap the longer curved one if you wanted, or also run a hose to the bottom of the bike. Just be aware that on hot days pressure can build up inside the tank if the vent is not working right, and that would push fuel out that sensor line. Again though, that would only happen if the tank vent in the gas cap was stopped up or not working for some reason.

Krey
      Thank you very much! So for info pertaining to my tank I can reference what is listed in my Clymer manual under a CA model. This is the tank that has been on the bike since I purchased it. I have always had a drain hose running to the bottom of the bike from the short one.

I am prepping my bike for the winter. It is not running perfect now so it will only give me more problems riding this winter. How does the petcock look? It has not been giving me any issues from what I can tell but I did want to pull it out to check the screen because I did not have an inline filter.

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
        Thank you very much! So for info pertaining to my tank I can reference what is listed in my Clymer manual under a CA model. This is the tank that has been on the bike since I purchased it. I have always had a drain hose running to the bottom of the bike from the short one.

I am prepping my bike for the winter. It is not running perfect now so it will only give me more problems riding this winter. How does the petcock look? It has not been giving me any issues from what I can tell but I did want to pull it out to check the screen because I did not have an inline filter.

If it's working, there isn't anything visually that jumps out at me. If you wanted to give it a good cleaning and reseat/seal the screen that may not be a bad idea, if it's coming loose. The picture may be deceiving on that.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X