X

Compression Tester

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Tester

I was looking at my spark plugs for the first time yesterday. Never seen spark plug holes that deep in an engine! How do you get a compression tester way down there?
    88 GSX600F Katana

The ones I use had fittings that screwed into the spark plug hole and were attached to a 12" rubber hose.

Here are some examples.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
      The ones I use had fittings that screwed into the spark plug hole and were attached to a 12" rubber hose.

Here are some examples.

That's basically what my tester looks like.

Long hose (only it was braided, not rubber if I remember right...)

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post

Here are some examples.
        Thx for that info man. So you can get it tight enough to get a good reading?
        88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Yeah, the ones I have used have o-rings that seals it off.

Comment

Most of the comp gauges have a 12-14" hose extension for that exact reason

Also, protip, should you ever need to do a roadside game of musical spark plugs (don't ask), you can use the airbox drain hose to help get the plugs out of there after you've unscrewed them, and also to get them back in without crossthreading them. Lol.

Comment

What would be the normal compression readings for a Kat 600 98-02?
              And what's the spark plug's thread size?
              Thanks!
              Last edited by Eastern Bloc; 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

What is the milage? Unless you have mega miles or valve issues, which are obvious. I can't even see a reason for doing a compression test. They should all be pretty much the same. That is what you should be looking for. The book will have the readings by psi I have heard some were at 185# while others are seeing 125#. It's all age and use or abuse.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  What is the milage? Unless you have mega miles or valve issues, which are obvious. I can't even see a reason for doing a compression test... It's all age and use or abuse.
                  Thanks,

well I was just interested in testing it since I found a guage with long flex tube and adapters for under 20€ and was wondering whether I really needed it.. but no issues with the bike, currently 200 miles short of 40K miles.

Comment

Ahhh, gotcha. Always good to know your ride, in depth. Carry on, mate.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Ahhh, gotcha. Always good to know your ride, in depth. Carry on, mate.
                      +1 If you trust it with your life, you should know as much as you can about it.
                      Not to mention it helps with maintenance down the road.

My old roomate (granted he worked at a metal fab shop) would take an old plug to work, cut it down, hollow it out and fix it to a compression tester fitting for a perfect fit of each bike (mainly just mine and his) but it was pretty cool idea. Just thought i would put that on the table.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

And there it is, right there.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                          +1 If you trust it with your life, you should know as much as you can about it.
                          Of course that being a priority but also something like a compression test will let you know whether or not to continue investing in mods, upgrades and aesthetics .. I like my kat but can't see myself overhauling the engine with new pistons, piston rings or cylinder blocks if with set valves the compression was low.

Comment

I would, the top end isn't too bad on pricing, just did an 88' top end. The bottom end is another story.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                            X