X

Carb 101

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb 101

I just got a 600cc Katana that has been sitting outside for 10 years. I tried turning the throttle and to no surprise it wouldn't turn at all so needless to say I'm sure the carbs are pretty gummed up. Will the methods used in Carbs 101 work to clean this one up or will it take more drastic measures?
    (carb dip, etc)
    88 GSX600F Katana

Carbs101 is going to be your friend here. Plan on replacing all the o-rings and I'd do the float needles, too. hold the diaphragms up to a strong light and stretch them a little, looking for cracks or pinholes but if they're still whole then you shouldn't need to replace them.

I'd also expect to have to clean/seal the tank, replace fork seals, replace tires, battery, throttle, clutch and choke cables.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Carbs 101 will tell you to dip them. So I guess that meets your definition of drastic?
      Good place for rebuild kits:
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Don't forget to order the pilot jet plugs and fuel seals along with the rebuild kits.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Don't forget to order the pilot jet plugs and fuel seals along with the rebuild kits.
          This is my first encounter with CV carbs so I'm not sure what these parts are or where they go. I'm studying the manual but haven't seen everything yet.
          88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

It's just a note so you don't skip anything and have problems afterwards.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              Carbs 101 will tell you to dip them. So I guess that meets your definition of drastic?
              Good place for rebuild kits:
              http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/Categories
              There's lots of carb kits for my type bike but I couldn't find one for an 88

It's just a note so you don't skip anything and have problems afterwards.
              Ah, ok yeah I'm going to follow Carbs 101 to the letter. thx
              Last edited by Hoko; 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

88 carb kits are hard to find if they do exist. if you want carbs that actually have plenty of parts available and a better carb set use 90-97 carbs. Pm arsenic for a set
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Carbs101 is going to be your friend here. Plan on replacing all the o-rings and I'd do the float needles, too. hold the diaphragms up to a strong light and stretch them a little, looking for cracks or pinholes but if they're still whole then you shouldn't need to replace them.

I'd also expect to have to clean/seal the tank, replace fork seals, replace tires, battery, throttle, clutch and choke cables.
                  Thanks for those tips Bill, yeah I took the tank off today and shook it. Could hear the rust pieces shakin around in there.

88 carb kits are hard to find they do exist. if you want carbs that actually have plenty of parts available and a better carb set use 90-97 carbs. Pm arsenic for a set
                  Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'm going to price all the parts and see if that may be a better deal. Thx
                  Last edited by Hoko; 08-14-2014, 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

OP, your post says the throttle doesn't turn. It's probably a frozen throttle cable.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      OP, your post says the throttle doesn't turn. It's probably a frozen throttle cable.
                      O, I didn't think of that. Thx,l I'll check that out
                      88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

I'm no means saying the other things aren't also true, but if the throttle won't turn.. it's a bad cable very likely.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

This parts page is asking me to select my carburetor model (J-T). Anyone know which one is on 88 GSX600FJ Katana?
                          88 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Hoko View Post
                            carburetor model (J-T). Anyone know which one is on 88 GSX600FJ Katana?
                            Seriously?

Comment

Hehe...
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X