X

additives

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• additives

I was wondering if gumout is good for kats? The one that I found in my garage is meant to clean out fuel injection and intake valves. Would it be a good or bad idea to add this to my gas?

I wouldn't add anything that doesn't explicitly label motorcycles as supported, also withstanding adding anything meant strictly for fuel injectors to my carbureted bike and certianly nothing that has the lifespan of, "found in my garage."

That being said, additives have many opinions surrounding them. If your bike is running like a babe and it gives you peace of mind go for it.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

If you think you need an additive , you probably need a valve-check or carb clean . Jussayin . Additives don't do much , and over 10 years I've pretty much tried them all .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Additives for fuel stabilization and removal of water contamination work pretty well. They can also help to reduce or prevent build up left behind by evaporated fuel IF... and this is the key... IF those additives can get to and flow over those build up points.

Most of the times additives won't fix a poor running bike issue. That is because of the last point I made. The problems being caused are from build up that is not normally in the flow of the additive, or the build up is too much to allow for a flow. A clogged jet for example isn't going to get clean if nothing is flowing through it to clean it.

Additives are really much more of a preventative maintenance item. They very rarely fix the issue after you have a noticeable problem.

I use Stabil marine in almost all my bikes or lawn equipment now days though to stabilize the ethanol fuels for storage longer than 1 week when I'm unable to acquire ethanol free gas. It's made a huge difference in preventing issues vs prior experiences not using it.

krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I use Lucas ethanol treatment. I also use a professional product by BG called 44K. we sell it at my shop. it works great.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

using your bike regularly is better than any additive
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
              using your bike regularly is better than any additive
              yeah. that. mine hasn't sat for more than a couple weeks without riding since I got it.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

My 99 sat in previous owner's garage since 2008, until I bought it back in March 2014.

I dumped the fuel, add fresh fuel and SeaFoam and had bike running on 2 cylinders for few minutes, the other two cylinders came back to life. Ran the bike for little over 6 miles, and

Let it sit for 48 hours before running it again, all 4 cylinder came to life on first try, just had rough time idling below 2k rpm.

I took apart the carbs. SeaFoam did a good job of loosen the gunk, cleaning the idle jets were rather painless with air compressor at 80 psi.

Comment

Working...
                X