Just bought 92' katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought 92' katana

Hi guys,

I just bought this bike. I bought it without a key but have taken apart the ignition cylinder and am currently hotwiring it while I have keys made.

I had no idea whether this bike would start or not when I bought it but I have high hopes it will at this point and hopefully you fellas could help me out.

Im also a novice to this but I did work on dirtbikes a little when I younger and use to race.

Anyways,

The battery was obviously dead when I got it. It had been sitting for a couple years apparently.

Also one of the connections is missing the bolt to hold it down the battery terminal (negative side) and the + side is also kind of lose. I know I will have to buy a new set of bolts for it.

I tried to jump the bike since it had no power on its own and I dont have a charger handy right this moment.

After a little poking around I got it to start turning over. But thats it. It keeps turning over pretty well and at one point it sounded like it was about to start and then it died.

What could the possible problems be? My clutch cable is really worn and definitely have to buy a new one before its rideable but it functions enough to get the starter clutch to allow it to turn over.

What are all the problems that could be associated with the bike being able to turn over well but wont fire?

Also, how do you go about fixing the issue if you do have an idea?

If its spark plugs, I can handle that. But I'm a complete noob when it comes to Carbs.

Is it possible it could just be the battery or the fact that I can turn it over while jumping prove there is more than just a battery problem?

Thank guys/girls

Welcome, Your going to need the carbs and tank cleaned, a NEW battery for a start. Download carbs 101 from the wiki above, you can also get a manual from there.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Okay thanks.

So I have to for sure take the carb apart and clean it completely? Im getting a new battery and have already put good performance oil through it with a new oil filter.

Also, the nozzle for turning the gas on/off/res doesnt seem to be releasing any gas even when opened? I took off the tubes on each side and turned it in all directions and no gas leaves the tank. When I took the nozzle off completely and took out the fitting inside gas poured out that direction but still wont come out the sides its suppose to.

Comment

Yes, complete tear down. The petcock should flow freely in prime, arrow facing rearward. It only flow with a vacuum when in reserve and run. The should rebuild that also.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

What are some things I should definitely have on hand for tearing down the carbs to clean them?

Comment

Originally posted by R0v3R View Post
            What are some things I should definitely have on hand for tearing down the carbs to clean them?
            Berryman's or an ultrasonic cleaner. Do NOT put rubber or plastic parts in berryman's (ask me how I know)

Some fine wires to run through the small holes in jets and such help. And a charged up air compressor with a few cans of carb cleaner should be a good start.
            1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

DO NOT run any wire through your carbs, use fishing line if you must. Berrymans is good at breaking down varnish and gum from carbs, jets and emulsion tubes.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                DO NOT run any wire through your carbs, use fishing line if you must. Berrymans is good at breaking down varnish and gum from carbs, jets and emulsion tubes.

I only use VERY fine wire. But fishing line will work as well.

Better safe than sorry? Maybe I will switch to the fishing line. Thanks 92xj.
                1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

Comment

Im assuming little flakes of metal possibly getting in my carbs wouldn't be the best option, even if they get soaked and sprayed.

So I pretty much have everything then except something to lay them in to soak.

Should I even bother to try running it before cleaning the carbs?

Comment

If it has been sitting for a couple years like you said, yes. clean the carbs correctly before starting. Make sure you bench then vacuum sync them when you are done.

You should be able to find Berryman's at just about any auto parts store. I exclusively go to the o'reilly's near me.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Okay I guess thats the last thing on my list to get then.

Will I be able to salvage everything when pulling them all apart or are there replacement pieces I am going to have to almost guarantee order?

I should note also it has been sitting DRY. There was next to no oil in it when I picked it up and no fuel outside of the gas tank because the petcock is clogged.

Comment

4 carb kits. like 60 on ebay. an check all the rubber. most deffinately it is dry cracked or hard from sitting an no fuel in it

Comment

There is going to be 4 rubber plugs on the pilot jet passages, one on each carb. ensure those are in good condition and a snug fit.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

+1

Comment

Working...
                            X