X

Smells like gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smells like gas

Its a bike, I understand it should smell like gas a little but I noticed when it gets hotter I cant put it straight in the garage or half the house smells of gas. Even see a light smoke in the garage. I'm probably due for a valve check (have not done one yet, bought the bike last year). Can this be the cause? If it gets hotter I even see light fumes coming from the engine while riding at slow speeds.

Katana 2004 750 , 17 000 Miles (not KM)

Sounds to me like you have a carb overflowing. Maybe a vent clogged up?

I would do the valve adjustment asap, but imho I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
      Sounds to me like you have a carb overflowing. Maybe a vent clogged up?

I would do the valve adjustment asap, but imho I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
      Ok will do. Thanks for the feedback i'll bring it to the shop next week.

Comment

Check your oil for the smell of gas, don't ride anymore until you do ...

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

A valve adjustment is really not all that hard if you follow directions from a manual.

Someone should chime in with the location of the manual for your bike.

I will never rely on a shop to do any of my work. They don't do thorough work and usually charge 5x more than it would have cost to do it yourself. To each his own I guess, but if you decide to do it yourself and run into a problem, you are on the site with the best information and most helpful people. All of the regulars here have seen and done everything related to your bike and are more than willing to help if you ask.
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

there is more info here than you will find in any shop and other than the $20 donation that isn't required, advice is free here. I'm on my phone so getting the link is difficult but you go to the wiki, and there's a service manuals link that contains all the books you will need. 8 times outta. 10, your gunna shell out a heap load of dough to a shop and be disapointed in their workmanship. doing it yourself will almost always have a much better outcome for less than half the money. no one is going to take better care of your kat than you.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
            X