GSX600F Fuel Consumption

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX600F Fuel Consumption

Hi all (again),

Approximately, how may miles should I be getting to a tank BEFORE reserve?

My bike just went into the red and no more and when I went to fill her up it only cost me £18 (just shy of 3 gallons) and if my calculations are correct this would mean that I would have had approximately 1.5 gallons still left in the tank before I filled her up.

Is this normal or do I have a faulty gauge?

Thank you in advance for your advice

gauge isnt very precise, but youll find out in time where is your reserve on dash. mine starts at the bootom, on the last milimeter of red line.

reserve is 5 liters (no clue how much gallons)
    before i hit reserve i get between 300-350km depending on how i ride.

this is consumption of my kat, on cold weather it goes up.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DelBhoy40 View Post
      Hi all (again),

Approximately, how may miles should I be getting to a tank BEFORE reserve?

My bike just went into the red and no more and when I went to fill her up it only cost me £18 (just shy of 3 gallons) and if my calculations are correct this would mean that I would have had approximately 1.5 gallons still left in the tank before I filled her up.

Is this normal or do I have a faulty gauge?

Thank you in advance for your advice
      yes, that is exactly normal.

Tank is 5.2 gallons, reserve is hit most of the time at around 3, it will show empty at around 2.5.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My gauge is not right. The bike only had 11,400 miles. Never goes to full and drops. I won't fix it. I just go by miles as I have always done on older bikes that never had gauges anyway. By 100 miles I'm ready for a break so I usually fill up then. He only time I took it until I had to go on reserve it ran out at 199 miles and took just over 3 gallons to fill it.

Comment

Oh geez, something else I'll have to look into on mine... Is there a failure mode where the bike always runs on reserve even when the selector is in the normal position?

When mine was delivered to me (running) the gauge was on the E, selector in normal position, and little gas visible in the tank at all. No sputtering at all, so it wasn't down to the fumes quite yet. I put 5 gallons in and it was almost full. I then did a gauge calibration check by riding it until down to half tank on the gauge and it took 2.7 gallons to fill. I thought that was a good thing that it's on E when empty, F when full, and half tank when actual half tank, but apparently it means somethings wrong... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
            Oh geez, something else I'll have to look into on mine... Is there a failure mode where the bike always runs on reserve even when the selector is in the normal position?

When mine was delivered to me (running) the gauge was on the E, selector in normal position, and little gas visible in the tank at all. No sputtering at all, so it wasn't down to the fumes quite yet. I put 5 gallons in and it was almost full. I then did a gauge calibration check by riding it until down to half tank on the gauge and it took 2.7 gallons to fill. I thought that was a good thing that it's on E when empty, F when full, and half tank when actual half tank, but apparently it means somethings wrong... :-/

Doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's most likely not stock. Aftermarket level sensor, aftermarket petcock, so on... those things can change how the information provided is, and how things work.

It is possible with some modifications to make the stock parts do this as well...

And remotely, there is a chance that something is wrong, but I find that unlikely if both the gauge and petcock are working together to give you these results. It's more likely someone made it that way.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X