X

new here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here

hello fellas, i just purchased a 97 GSX 600F. an had a few questions..
    it was only $800.. the guy replaced the motor, an during rebuild had issues with the install. he replaced the left banks fuel line with a line that was too short so it kinked under the tank. causeing it too not run without choke.. so it looked he backed out the idle screw all the way out to compensate cause he didnt know why it wouldnt run without choke.. so i took a chance an lucked out so far.. (yoshima header back, new clutch, new motor, new chock cable, plugs, oil, filter). an im a beginner to sport bikes. rode cruisers before..

1. needs tires can i run a 120 70 17 (front)
    180 55 17 (rear).

2. an what fairings work with with a 97.. i see ebay has em listed for 97-03. but i thought the years were 93-97 98-06?

3. (Crazy question).. i thinks its a air cooled from riding right?.. would a radiator fan placed in front of radiator help?. or is there one on there already?

thanks for any info guys thanks

I am buying a whole slew of parts today. Was just looking for input thanks.. as I also want a taller rear. For I am 6,2.. would a 98 gsxr 750 with resivoir a direct bolt in? With increase in height
    Last edited by xredneckf150x; 07-03-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

2. Fairings: You'd be looking at 89-97 Fairings. You will have a hard time finding new ones without paying crazy high prices. Your best bet is keep your eyes peeled on the forums or ebay for someone parting out. If you see one newly listed fairing (in good condition) on ebay, message the guy if he'll sell all of them to you.

If you've got decent plastics, might be more worth it to bondo and repaint

3. If you've got a problem with it overheating, check your oil cooler lines to see if they're flowing right. If you have to, you can also check this thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72162

Comment

Na it isnt over heating but cooler engine is a better running engine.. yea plastics have been repainted a darker blue. I ordered a few parts already but really wanna know about the tire. Cause the rear tire has wear from someone holding the front brake an burnin doughnuts . All choppy....... that's the almost exact idea I had for fans .. great find thanks
        Last edited by xredneckf150x; 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Some general info to your questions. More details would be needed and parts verification before getting too specific.

1. Tires = 120/70 and 150/70 max sized. If you want larger rear, you gotta swap a rim. You can do a straight up rim swap a post 4.5" kat rim and get up to 160, or you need to mod the swingarm to go larger tire wise. Widen the arm, or extend the arm is the only way to do that. For a 180 tire, you need a minimal 5.5" rim.

2. Plastics match up 88-97, or 98+. Tail sections on the 88-97 years will be different for 600cc or 750cc, but the mid to front of the bike = same.

3. Bike is air/oil cooled. A fan on the front will not help cooling unless your operating the bike at extreme low speeds most of the time. Example: the only traffic you ride in is rush hour mostly stopped some go traffic. If the bike is traveling over 30 mph, then you don't need a fan, and will gain no benefit from having a fan. Make sure if you do install a fan, that it does not actually reduce air flow running or not running and cause the opposite of the intended increased cooling.

<--- has 5.5" rim with 180 installed.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok good to know... an will the shock from a 98 bolt right in? any other suspension upgrades from newer years i should look into?

fairings off being buffed. ordered signals, handle bar grips, mirrors. windsheild, tailight an brakes
            Last edited by xredneckf150x; 07-03-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xredneckf150x View Post
              ok good to know... an will the shock from a 98 bolt right in? any other suspension upgrades from newer years i should look into?

fairings off being buffed. ordered signals, handle bar grips, mirrors. windsheild, tailight an brakes

Looks like a primarily a stock bike except the exhaust.

A 2nd gen B12 shock (bandit 1200) will raise the rear 2". I would suggest you have it rebuilt and shimmed to reduce that height to 1 3/4" instead to prevent the suspension parts from hitting the spring on the shock, but it's a great shock to upgrade and raise the rear with, with minimal extra work put in.

Additionally you will want to invest in getting new springs and I highly suggest emulators for the front forks. Looking at around $100 for the springs, $165 for the emulators... then oil and seals and some minor mods to install the emulators. Easy enough to do yourself, or have Tmod do all the suspension work for you.

krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok yea ill look into that as well. thanks krey. i couldnt pass it up for 800

Comment

Working...
                X