X

Engine Knock/Tick

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Knock/Tick

Hey guys, as I was riding along the other day saddening I started to hear this knocking/ticking coming from the top end of my engine, all of my gears still work fine..It wont stay running at an idle without gas or choke and is hard on start up. The sound isn't terribly loud but it does get worse with the more throttle I give it. I wish the video would upload so I could give you a better understanding of what it sounds like. I appreciate the help in advance.

try loading video to you tube and providing a link
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Did the trouble idling and needing gas/choke start at the same time as the noise? Crappy idle is usually from dirty carbs, but if it started at the same time as the noise...
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

How many miles on bike?
        When was your last valve adjustment?

Comment

And check your exhaust is tight with no leaks at the head.

KRey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sounds like it might be time to check the valves and shims
            YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Almost 30k on the bike. Valves were done around 3k miles ago by my brother. CCT spring was changed. Carbs were rebuilt and bike was starting and running great up until I heard this rattle/knock sound riding on the highway, pulled over and it died on me. All recent maintenance is up to date (plugs, air filter, oil, etc.). Headers should be tight as I actually had that problem last summer and I torqued them down, this doesn't seem to fit the bill but I'll check them over.

Video coming soon! Thanks all.
              Last edited by eddie_93katana; 07-02-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Here is a short clip of what it sounds like

Comment

The engine is not firing on all cylinders. With how bad it's running, I would suggest your looking at 2 cylinders not working. I would suggest you check the down tube temps on the exhaust to figure out which ones are not working atm.

If it's 1-4, or 2-3 match up then it's probably a coil issue, or wiring to the coils.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah you're right. I felt a significant loss/about half..meaning no acceleration with the throttle at a 3/4 twist when I first experienced the problem. I'm currently working on taking off the valve cover and taking a look inside. If I don't find what I'm looking for then I'm defiantly going to do that!

Comment

A better video showing the rattle. All cylinders are firing, top end just has a very bad rattle that gets worse with throttle. The video really doesn't capture how bad it sounds. Any ideas?

Comment

So your saying all 4 exhaust downtubes are hot and of exact equal temperature?

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          So your saying all 4 exhaust downtubes are hot and of exact equal temperature?

Krey
                          I ended up just checking spark on the plugs. I really don't think it's a carb issue because the bike has been running great since I redid them. Check out the pics I got after pulling the valve cover.

I think my timing may be off?

Signal generator thingy in correct position..

But look where the notches on the camshafts are..

The service manual states that the notches should be as so:

Also, what are these holes and why do they look fudged up? Found a few metal shavings inside when I pulled the valve cover too..

Comment

Rotate 1 more 360, the bars should face each other. It dies look a little off. Is the cam chain tight, cam sprocket teeth good. Assuming that it ran great then like crap. I've seen one cam slip a tooth but 2.....
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              Rotate 1 more 360, the bars should face each other. It dies look a little off. Is the cam chain tight, cam sprocket teeth good. Assuming that it ran great then like crap. I've seen one cam slip a tooth but 2.....
                              I rotated another 360.. notches are both facing towards the inside but seem to be a bit off from where they should be. Cam chain is tight.. Just reset the CCT to be sure. Cam sprockets look good but I think the cam chain idler teeth look a bit worn/rough. The exhaust camshaft certainly looks farther off than the intake camshaft. It was running great up until this point...

Comment

Working...
                              X