X

Kickstand sideways movement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstand sideways movement

A few weeks ago I started noticing my kickstand would slide out when down allowing the bike to lean more than normal.

I thunk nothing of it till I put some luggage on for a long trip the other day, and the bike started to tip (took two people to stop it from falling over).

The bolt is securely in place, so I expect an elongated hole and a worn bolt are the culprit

I was planning on rounding the hole off and putting a bigger bolt, but someone told me the hole is supposed to be elongated to create a kickstand spring tipping point.

Which complicates the repair

Any tips on how to remedy the sideways movement of the lowered kickstand?

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
    A few weeks ago I started noticing my kickstand would slide out when down allowing the bike to lean more than normal.

I thunk nothing of it till I put some luggage on for a long trip the other day, and the bike started to tip (took two people to stop it from falling over).

The bolt is securely in place, so I expect an elongated hole and a worn bolt are the culprit

I was planning on rounding the hole off and putting a bigger bolt, but someone told me the hole is supposed to be elongated to create a kickstand spring tipping point.

Which complicates the repair

Any tips on how to remedy the sideways movement of the lowered kickstand?

If when the kick stand is up, you can move it towards/away from the bike by pushing/pulling on it, then... it's most likely in need of a thicker shim. The hardware for the kickstand includes a shouldered bolt, a lock nut, and a shim. The original shim is very thin normally, but additional wear can make it thinner, or wear of the parts in general may require a thicker one. The kickstand pivots on the shoulder of the bolt.

What you need is a shim that will reduce the play of the kickstand so that it can not be pulled/pushed in/out, but not so thick that when the nut is tightened fully on the bolt, that it clamps the kickstand in place. Tight... but not too tight... basically.

I normally start with a thicker washer with a correct size inner hole and use a belt sander to make it thinner till I get the thickness I need.

This shim is the fix for 99% of the kickstand, kickstand spring, kickstand safety switch issues posted about, and it's simple/cheap/easy to fix.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks. I just pulled the kickstand or and sure enough - the shim is worn almost through.

Surprised to see that on a bike with only 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

Comment

Working...
      X